Anyone with low undergrad gpa/high masters gpa get into competitive phd programs?

bsharpe269

I want to apply to phd programs in biophysics and bioinformatics.

My undegrad gpa is a 3.3 (in math) but grad is a 4.0 (in bioinformatics).

Gre scores are 157V, 161Q, 4.5 but can take these again before I apply (they are from before masters).

Lots of research experience starting freshman year of undergrad, including a top REU, 5 years of bio lab work, 1 year bioengineering lab work, biomath research(conference paper+ big award from my university). I am doing research now in structural bioinformatics and may publish before applying (but if not, I still have alot of knowledge in this area and a great LOR - this is the area I want to stay in for phd)

Has anyone gotten into competitive (around top 50 at least?) phd programs with similar stats? I had diagnosed but untreated with ADD in college and am now treating it. This explains the change in grades in addition to a change in work ethic that came with maturity. I am guessing this shouldnt be mentioned though to phd programs though.

Gre scores are 157V, 161Q, 4.5 but can take these again before I apply (they are from before masters).

Lots of research experience starting freshman year of undergrad, including a top REU, 5 years of bio lab work, 1 year bioengineering lab work, biomath research(conference paper+ big award from my university). I am doing research now in structural bioinformatics and may publish before applying (but if not, I still have alot of knowledge in this area and a great LOR - this is the area I want to stay in for phd)

Has anyone gotten into competitive (around top 50 at least?) phd programs with similar stats? I had diagnosed but untreated with ADD in college and am now treating it. This explains the change in grades in addition to a change in work ethic that came with maturity. I am guessing this shouldnt be mentioned though to phd programs though.

I can't really help in the stats area, but you could address the ADD in your SOP. I think they look favorably on applicants who address their short comings and are able to work past it.

Also your record seems pretty impressive to me! :)

Thanks for the advice guys.

Also, I didn't think mentioning ADD would be appropriate since I know most mental illness issues shouldn't be mentioned. ADD is a bit different but I thought it may fall into the same category. I'll make another post on that and get some additional feedback... thanks!

You shouldn't worry about those stats.  I've seen people with worse undergrad GPAs get into top 5-10 programs.  As long as you're past the stated minimum (usually 3.0) you will at least be considered, and your other stats seem promising.

My GRE scores are only slightly higher than yours and my GPA is a 3.7.... but I was a transfer student from a community college and I failed some classes at the community college and got some other low grades. However, I applied to all top 10 programs and so far I have gotten an interview at every school I applied to (except I am still waiting on Scripps).

To be honest... I'm not sure why I have been doing so well with getting invites. But here are some explanations I have come up with:

1. I took graduate level coursework as an undergraduate and did very well. You have a high graduate GPA, I think that will work in your favor

2. I had really good LORs.

3. Like you, there's an upward trend in my performance

4. My SOP was a borderline love story about science. I have ADD, too, and a lot of weird twists and turns in my academic history. However, I didn't talk about my ADD or give any specifics about any problems I've had. I just briefly mentioned that I overcame my  "life difficulties" and learned how to be a good student because I am enthusiastic about my studies. I didn't try to make any excuses for my shortcomings, I simply briefly acknowledged them and then argued that overcoming my past shows that I'm persistent.

TL;DR:

- It seems like an upward trend can make up for some mistakes in the past. Don't be too discouraged by your undergrad GPA!

- I wouldn't talk about your ADD. Acknowledge that you've had challenges, but make the emphasis on how you have changed. I can see where you are coming from, but the reviewer might see it as whining if you talk about your ADD.

- Use the essays well. A boring SOP might not hurt a student with a high GPA... but I think an impressive SOP can help balance out your application if it has some rough spots.

Good luck!

mbiochem,

Did you have really strong research experience that you think explain the interviews? I see a lot of people with perfect stats get way less interviews than you and don't quite understand how people are chosen. Congrats on all of the interviews and future acceptances!

My stats are almost identical and I have interviews at some pretty good programs. I had a pretty compelling reason for my poor undergrad grades.I think in general if your most recent history says that you can succeed academically, and you have good experience doing actual research, you should be fine.

mbiochem,

Did you have really strong research experience that you think explain the interviews? I see a lot of people with perfect stats get way less interviews than you and don't quite understand how people are chosen. Congrats on all of the interviews and future acceptances!

I have research experience but not an unusual amount. I have worked in 2 labs and I have about 3 years of research experience. Almost 2 years of that was full time and both of my PIs are well respected. However, I don't have any papers yet and I never did any poster presentations or a senior thesis or anything. I will have a review out soon, but I didn't at the time I applied.

I don't quite understand how people are chosen either. Based on the forums, I thought I wasn't going to get an invite from any of the programs I applied to. But I managed to get invites from all of the programs I applied to... so clearly there is hope for "upward trend" people. You have a lot of research experience and an impressive graduate GPA so I think you are underselling yourself by only hoping for Top 50.

And thanks! Hopefully I will get accepted somewhere :)