Plans for this summer?

Table

I'm curious to hear what people's plans for the summer are, assuming you get in somewhere and will be heading to a program in the fall. Will you be working? Trying to do something to prepare for grad school? Focusing on relaxing?

I've been so focused on applying that I haven't thought much about the summer.

Edited by Table

My Job ends in early may, and if I do get accepted somewhere I probably won't try to find some more work during that time. I will be super poor though if I don't work, but I would rather be super poor and not have the stress/busyness of a crappy summer job just before starting graduate work. So, what can I do while poor? Probably hike/backpack a bit - it's cheap as long as you have the equiptment. Maybe visit with some family in the deep south, read and whatnot.

If I don't get in a program, then it's looking for a full time job for me... oh god I hope I get in somewhere :(

The job that I have now also ends in May, but I've had a summer job at the same place for the last two years so I can likely go back there.  I imagine where I will be (hopefully) going will have a big impact on my summer plans; if I stay in this area, I won't have to worry about moving so much, but  if I'm moving across the country, I may try to move out in August to give myself some time to get settled.

One of my programs has the readings for their PhD comprehensive exams that I'd need to take after my second year, and so I plan to start reading through those.  Even if I don't get into that program, the list seems to be a pretty good sample of things I should know about philosophy.

I honestly have no idea, like Table I've been really focused on applying that I hadn't given it much thought. I suspect it will likely depend on if I get in somewhere, and where I end up going. I may sit in on a summer course here, or I applied for a long-shot summer seminar in philosophy of religion. 

I'm going to be working part-time to try to pool a bit of cash together. Other than that, I'll be working with one of my current professors to do an in-depth reading of Difference and Repetition, since he's a Deleuze guy and I've never bothered to actually do any Deleuze with him. 

My Job ends in early may, and if I do get accepted somewhere I probably won't try to find some more work during that time. I will be super poor though if I don't work, but I would rather be super poor and not have the stress/busyness of a crappy summer job just before starting graduate work. So, what can I do while poor? Probably hike/backpack a bit - it's cheap as long as you have the equiptment. Maybe visit with some family in the deep south, read and whatnot.

If I don't get in a program, then it's looking for a full time job for me... oh god I hope I get in somewhere :(

How deep in the south (one comes to find that the deep south is actually north to most southerners)?

How deep in the south (one comes to find that the deep south is actually north to most southerners)?

Mississippi. If that's not deep south I don't know what is. And I'm from rural VA, which while NOVA (the area near DC) and the cities aren't southern anymore, the rural parts most definitely are. (I grew up near miles of farmland and tons of confederate flags)

Mississippi. If that's not deep south I don't know what is. And I'm from rural VA, which while NOVA (the area near DC) and the cities aren't southern anymore, the rural parts most definitely are. (I grew up near miles of farmland and tons of confederate flags)

Ah. I'm a bit further south. 

One of my programs has the readings for their PhD comprehensive exams that I'd need to take after my second year, and so I plan to start reading through those.  Even if I don't get into that program, the list seems to be a pretty good sample of things I should know about philosophy.

Do you have the link?