Acceptable Micro/macroecon courses / caclc courses?

dpgu800

I was wondering how people are satisfying/planning to satisfy the quant req for many of the IR schools.

Originally I planned on taking courses at a CC or online CC courses, but many of them fill up really fast and a lot of them had annoying prerequisites or require you to take an assessment test. I'm not really down to go thru all the CC bureaucracy, pass all the prereqs and find out that classes are already filled up.

So I was wondering if people knew any good, cheap, and acceptable/transferable alternatives to CC econ classes.

I heard Straighterline is an option for Stanford applicants, but I'm not courses from which institutions will be accepted by IR schools (such as Columbia, SAIS, GWU, etc), and I don't really want to bother the admissions offices before I get an acceptance letter (if I get any that is   :wacko: )

Can current students, alumni, or prospective students shed a light on this issue?

Is there any reason CC isn't an option? Most of them do online courses for basic classes like micro, macro and calc. Out of state  tuition for the online macro class I'm taking was less that $250. 

Is there any reason CC isn't an option? Most of them do online courses for basic classes like micro, macro and calc. Out of state  tuition for the online macro class I'm taking was less that $250. 

It's mostly b/c all most of all of them (in CA) have math or basic econ prereqs for even the intro macro/micro courses.

And I really hate to go through the process of waiting couple weeks to get a math assessment test appointment, go thru bs paperwork, wait for the results, and then be late for registration (this has happened before....).

It's really fu**ing annoying that a good score in SAT and GRE + A in my undergrad stat class counts for nothing and that they ask you to either go thru the bureaucracy or take high school algebra before taking intro econ. 

Still, would you mind if I ask you where you took your out of state econ course? 

Edited by dpgu800

I'm taking it at Durham Technical Community College in Durham, NC. But they do make you come in for an orientation to register, so it won't work if you actually live out of the area. I got them to waive the math test because I already had a bachelor's degree, you could try a similar argument.  

I went to a CC up in MA too where you didn't need to go in to register. It was a bit more pricey, but it not much. I didn't have the math reqs for the chemistry classes I was in but they didn't care. Either way, orientation at CC in my experience has been pretty painless, you just need to cut 1-2 hours out of a day, and you can work it in on a Saturday if you need to.

Duke told me they'd except a Coursera microclass, however I know many won't and given the amount of time you need to dedicate your better just paying the cash for a for-credit course. Also and A will boost your GPA if your sub 4.0 and CC classes are generally graded easier (depends hugely on the professor though).

I'm taking it at Durham Technical Community College in Durham, NC. But they do make you come in for an orientation to register, so it won't work if you actually live out of the area. I got them to waive the math test because I already had a bachelor's degree, you could try a similar argument.  

I went to a CC up in MA too where you didn't need to go in to register. It was a bit more pricey, but it not much. I didn't have the math reqs for the chemistry classes I was in but they didn't care. Either way, orientation at CC in my experience has been pretty painless, you just need to cut 1-2 hours out of a day, and you can work it in on a Saturday if you need to.

Duke told me they'd except a Coursera microclass, however I know many won't and given the amount of time you need to dedicate your better just paying the cash for a for-credit course. Also and A will boost your GPA if your sub 4.0 and CC classes are generally graded easier (depends hugely on the professor though).

Thanks for the infor! I'll look into those options!