Should my official reply arrive before April 15?

curry

Hello,

I am waitlisted in a reputable university I would really like to go to. I also have an offer from a lesser-known university with a great group in my field. While the second school is a good option, I cannot make a decision before the first one accepts or rejects my application.

Does my official, signed reply have to arrive before April 15? In this case I have to hurry up since I am an international applicant and mail takes a week or more. I hope they are not bureaucratic and they just have to know my decision before April 15, but it would be helpful to know for sure.

Hello,

I am waitlisted in a reputable university I would really like to go to. I also have an offer from a lesser-known university with a great group in my field. While the second school is a good option, I cannot make a decision before the first one accepts or rejects my application.

Does my official, signed reply have to arrive before April 15? In this case I have to hurry up since I am an international applicant and mail takes a week or more. I hope they are not bureaucratic and they just have to know my decision before April 15, but it would be helpful to know for sure.

Being admitted from a waitlist can sometimes take months, if at all. If you were waitlisted, you should contact the school that put you on it to find out several things: including whether it is ranked and your place on it. You should also find out when and how many people they anticipate admitting from the waitlist. In any event, you should not expect to hear back by April 15.

If you have a firm offer from another school, it might be wise to accept it. However, if you are pretty set on going to the "reputable" university and are not successful, then build up your application for next year and reapply.

You need to officially accept or they may take it as a decline and offer your place and/or money to someone else. PRobably they would accept an e-mail acceptance with official paperwork later by mail but you should call or e-mail to ask. In this economic situation I would go for the acceptance and get your degree rather than waiting until next year which may not be much improved economically than this year.

Thank you both for your answers.

I am not going to wait until next year and am definitely going to accept by e-mail before April 15. I was just wondering whether I can delay my decision until April 13 or 14 and give the "reputable" school some time, or arrival of the official paperwork before the deadline is necessary. I will probably e-mail to ask.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use