Students funded "for the first three years"?

Munashi

This tidbit of information is on the website of one of the programs I applied to (PhD, I/O psychology).  This program is very highly ranked and quite competitive, but... why only fund students for 3 years in a program that generally takes at least 4-5 years to complete?

Are people expected to be funding themselves by the time they are more advanced students?  I recognize that it would be best to chat with a current student about this, but I haven't received an offer from this place and I'm not sure if it's appropriate.  I just thought I'd see what those of you on this forum thought/might know.

I am not in Psychology, but sometimes I see this in my field too. When I inquired further about it, they usually say something like the department promises you funding (through TAships and fellowships etc.) for the first 3 years, and afterwards, you're responsible for getting your own RAship through other profs or your thesis advisor etc. In my field, getting an RAship from your advisor is pretty much a given (otherwise you flunk out). In many programs in my field, the candidacy exam may represent this transition and you basically won't pass if your advisor does not think you are capable enough to finish a PhD in order to fund you. But maybe Psychology is a lot different--just offering some thoughts. The best thing to do, I think, would be to ask for clarification if you get an offer from them. 

I have been told previously that they are not actually allowed to guarantee funding for all 5 years (sometimes not even past the first year) but pretty much everyone gets it anyway. I would ask someone in the program now if that's the case or if it is more similar to what TakeruK is suggesting (you are responsible for finding your own funding for your last two years).

I have been told previously that they are not actually allowed to guarantee funding for all 5 years (sometimes not even past the first year) but pretty much everyone gets it anyway. I would ask someone in the program now if that's the case or if it is more similar to what TakeruK is suggesting (you are responsible for finding your own funding for your last two years).

This is true, at one of my old schools, the official University wide policy is to only guarantee funding for 4 years even though the average time to complete is more like 5. I think the student group is arguing against this by citing such numbers, but I don't know how far they are getting. As stereopticons said, no guarantee doesn't necessarily mean no funding. At programs like this, if there is a visit weekend or a chance to ask questions, it would be good to ask what fraction of students are funded past 3 years.

Most programs only do so for 3 or 4 years. The best way to judge how much this is a problem is during your interview. For example, my program is set up that way, but 100% of people in my lab have received funding. It's actually kinda nice because it forces us to apply for competitive external funding, and we have a very successful track record in obtaining it! That being said, sometimes this is lab/PI specific, and it vary across programs and across labs. If you like the program, go ahead and apply, and you'll get a good sense of it during interview day.

Edited by PsychGirl1

This tidbit of information is on the website of one of the programs I applied to (PhD, I/O psychology).  This program is very highly ranked and quite competitive, but... why only fund students for 3 years in a program that generally takes at least 4-5 years to complete?

Are people expected to be funding themselves by the time they are more advanced students?  I recognize that it would be best to chat with a current student about this, but I haven't received an offer from this place and I'm not sure if it's appropriate.  I just thought I'd see what those of you on this forum thought/might know.

What the people above have said is accurate; when I saw three I was skeptical, but I asked a faculty about it and he laughed, said it was a good question, and said I wouldn't have to worry about it. If you're talking about who I think you're talking about (lest I be egotistical, at which point ignore me), I've seen students funded into their sixth year, and there's *never* been a problem finding funding. We were actually told at one point that we had too many students on grants and didn't have enough available to teach. So, if you're not on grant funding in your 4th/5th/possibly 6th year, you would teach, but you will get funding.  Summer funding is similar, in that they find funding for basically anyone who wants summer funding-- which is really really great.