Accepted, but with no info

mkmason

On March 24 I received an email from Arizona State University's English Graduate program indicating "Congratulations! You have been admitted into the English (MA) program for the 2009 Fall term," but I have no further information from them about how to proceed! That's essentially all the email says, and no matter how many times a day I check my mail, I still have no information from the University about what to do now. Is this normal?

I applied for the English Rhetoric and Composition program, about which the email says nothing, nor does it say anything about the GA position I applied for. After reading about some unfortunate people who got accepted and then "oops! that was actually a rejection"-ed, I'm beginning to worry. Plus, it seems like I might have a limited amount of time in which to reply with my acceptance of their acceptance.

Also, FYI, I have called and emailed the contact people in the department, and so far have no response.

There's nothing much you can do except email and call the department (or show up in person, if you live nearby). Until you hear more, I think you can safely assume you've been accepted to the designated field in the program you wanted. Do not assume you got the GA position you applied to (don't assume you'll receive any funding unless you have it written down somewhere). Keep calling and emailing; don't accept the offer unless you're prepared to pay for everything yourself, because there's a real possibility of that happening. Congrats on the acceptance! :D

So, here's two things for future ASU students to know: the English department doesn't send snail mail correspondence about admissions, so checking your mail ten times a day certainly won't help. Also, make sure you check your email trash folder for messages deleted as spam :oops: I got an email on April 02 from the graduate coordinator saying that an email would be sent out soon giving advising details, and sure enough, on April 7 I got an email with all the information about registering etc that I needed. However, I am still waiting for financial information. She said that this year due to "circumstances" that probably no English MAs will get TA positions. Bummer. She also said it would take a few more weeks for those decisions to be made.

I had a horrible experience with ASU when I applied for my Master's. I got the acceptance email and then they wanted to send me my I-20 by snail mail. It was already very late in the admissions cycle and I had asked them whether they could fedex me the I-20 since my country's postal system is not exactly reliable. Not only did they insist on the snail mail, they seemed to think I was a lune for requesting such a thing . Eventually, since I could not wait for the I-20 and jeopardize my other admit, I had to pass on ASU. The irony is that I was added to some listserv for graduate students at ASU, and still sporadically receive spam from them.