SSRC 2014

Nrrrdgrrrl

This is from another message board:

"Transcript request received 5th Feb. It seems like they come in over a period of time. Anyone knows how large the remaining pool is for those whose transcripts were requested?

My understanding of the process, which is based on following message boards over the years and some conversations with professors who have served as SSRC reviewers, is that the pool is cut to around 200 at the "transcript request" stage. So the first cut is quite a significant one (they have received 1,100-1,200 apps in recent years) when compared to other agencies (Wenner-Gren, for instance, cuts about 50 percent in their first round.) The national panel meets in April to go over the remaining 200 or so apps that received transcript requests and they select the 75-80 winners.  The reviewer comments are generally useful and encouraging, but unless you crack that top 15-20 percent, you won't be getting them."

Thanks!

I was notified of being awarded an IDRF fellowship on April 15, 2014. "Eighty provisional awardees, selected from a total of 1,081 submitted applications from graduate students at 131 universities." I am over the moon!

The very best to everyone in this application season!