Email Interview/ Phone Interview/ Skype Interview

PoopCat1

Does anyone know how an email interview is conducted? The Bard Graduate Center posts mention email interviews.

Also, what kinds of questions are asked? How can I prepare?

Does anyone know how an email interview is conducted? The Bard Graduate Center posts mention email interviews.

Also, what kinds of questions are asked? How can I prepare?

I went to BGC this December and they didn't mention email interviews? They heavily stressed in-person interviews as their preference (it's a panel of Professors and the Dean, I think), and explained that they would email people offering interviews, which could be done over skype (if necessary) but they kept stressing they preferred in-person interviews, and that I would have a two-week window between their emails and the actual interviews weekend. 

There's something like four people going to be in the room for interviews to gauge you as a student. To be honest, I wasn't thrilled about the idea of having to drop $1,000+ to fly across the country to interview. They were also cagey about financial aid - i.e. the Professor gave me the complete details, but the administrative assistant to the Dean (I assume lied) said that he had "no idea how the financial aid process worked," but I could email the Dean. I don't know if this is a concern for you or not, but just an FYI. 

I went to BGC this December and they didn't mention email interviews? They heavily stressed in-person interviews as their preference (it's a panel of Professors and the Dean, I think), and explained that they would email people offering interviews, which could be done over skype (if necessary) but they kept stressing they preferred in-person interviews, and that I would have a two-week window between their emails and the actual interviews weekend. 

There's something like four people going to be in the room for interviews to gauge you as a student. To be honest, I wasn't thrilled about the idea of having to drop $1,000+ to fly across the country to interview. They were also cagey about financial aid - i.e. the Professor gave me the complete details, but the administrative assistant to the Dean (I assume lied) said that he had "no idea how the financial aid process worked," but I could email the Dean. I don't know if this is a concern for you or not, but just an FYI. 

From what I understand, it's completely based on your GPA and experience ranking in comparison to other students. Broad, yes, but at least it's something.

As for the interview, I will go in person if I get it. I'm only six hours away and I have family ten blocks from the BGC. I just noticed a lot of posts saying that they interviewed via email or phone. I would prefer to be in person or email over the phone or skype.

From what I understand, it's completely based on your GPA and experience ranking in comparison to other students. Broad, yes, but at least it's something.

As for the interview, I will go in person if I get it. I'm only six hours away and I have family ten blocks from the BGC. I just noticed a lot of posts saying that they interviewed via email or phone. I would prefer to be in person or email over the phone or skype.

Yes only the top 5 or so students get full funding...everyone else...

They didn't interview via email but rather got asked to interview via email I think? Good luck!

Thanks!

And here's hoping I'm in the top 5... and that merit isn't measured just by GPA and GRE.

Basically they tier the funding for tuition...so below the top 5 or so gets a little less merit funding and so on. Full funding was only tuition from what I understood and living in NYC isn't cheap...I would have to be in the Top 5 AND get need funds + work study for a "stipend" from them to even make it a possibility. A little bit of a long shot for me. :/ But I wish you luck!!!