Stanford or Columbia? (I'll pray for u, if u post ur ideas)

GreAgain

Bonjour!

I got admitted by both Stanford(MA in International Policy Studies) and Columbia(MA in Statistics).

Although Stanford University is awesome, too many earthquakes happen in California. It might be a little horrific to move to it, since experts predict that one devastating earthquake will probably hit California in next few years.

However, the placement of Stanford-IPS is much better than Columbia-Stat. To find a good job is very very important for me and my family. So I dont know which one to chooce.

Thanks a ton if you could tell me your opinions and what you know about the programs/universities/locations....

I will pray for your future studies and career success. Merci!

My thoughts are: place actual advantages over perceived disadvantages. Of course an earthquake could hit California during your stay there, but I'm sure that NYC is not catastrophe-free either. I imagine that some sort of accident could happen to you at both places (knock on wood). You can't choose based on the unknown. If better job placement is a key factor in your decision, then go to the place that offers you that--my vote goes to Stanford.

I agree with the previous poster. Consider what you would get from each program and decide which one suits your short and long-term goals the best. Then, also consider the reality of living in either California or NYC. Not that California is the cheapest place to live, but the cost of living in New York City is outrageously high (especially for students, who have little to no income). From your post, I get the impression that you feel Stanford better suits your needs academically and professionally - I would choose Stanford.

My thoughts are: place actual advantages over perceived disadvantages. Of course an earthquake could hit California during your stay there, but I'm sure that NYC is not catastrophe-free either. I imagine that some sort of accident could happen to you at both places (knock on wood). You can't choose based on the unknown. If better job placement is a key factor in your decision, then go to the place that offers you that--my vote goes to Stanford.

Thanks a lot for your ideas. I always take possibility into account and the possiblity of catastrophe is much higher in California than in NYC.

I wonder whether it is very difficult for me to find a decent job in NYC if I study in Stanford. I dont want to stay in California after graduation.

I agree with the previous poster. Consider what you would get from each program and decide which one suits your short and long-term goals the best. Then, also consider the reality of living in either California or NYC. Not that California is the cheapest place to live, but the cost of living in New York City is outrageously high (especially for students, who have little to no income). From your post, I get the impression that you feel Stanford better suits your needs academically and professionally - I would choose Stanford.

Thanks a lot! I also realize that it is very expensive to live in NYC. Because there are few classes during the day in Columbia Univ Stat program, is it feasible for me to find an internship to cover some expense? ( I will hold a F-1 visa.)

If it is me, I will choose Stanford for sure. I like SF. NYC is a old, dirty, and super expensive city. Nobody know what will happen tomorrow. Nowhere is absolutely safe. It is no meaning to make a decision based on unknown things. :roll:

Because there are few classes during the day in Columbia Univ Stat program, is it feasible for me to find an internship to cover some expense? ( I will hold a F-1 visa.)

On the F1 visa, you're allowed to work up to 20 hours a week during the year and up to 40 hours a week in the summer. There are restrictions on where you can work, I think you're usually only allowed to work on campus. It could be a problem if the internship is someplace off campus, but there might be other ways to arrange for it to be possible (I think the OPT could be utilized for that somehow--I'm not really an expert but I've heard of people who were in a similar situation and found ways to work it out).

Seriously? Earthquakes? That is what you are concerned about?

They have been predicting "the big one" in CA for years, but it hasn't happened. Honestly, prediction of earthquake technology isn't very advanced beyond predicting the next day or week or so. And if said "big one" occurred, it's far more likely to occur in Southern California, which is so far away, it will likely barely, if at all, affect Northern California. And if said "big one" occurs, AND it occurs in Northern California, it's most likely to happen on the Hayward fault, which isn't even the closest fault to Stanford. And if said "big one" occurs, AND it occurs in Northern California, AND it's along the San Andreas fault (there is a less than 21% chance of this happening in the next 60 years), it's likely that causalities in the less populated areas (like Stanford) would be minimal. Only 20 people died when Northridge (which, by the way, is half an hour from my house... and no, I'm not worried) had a 6.7, which is the magnitude used in all of the calculations of potential major earthquakes.

Almost 3,000 people died in 9/11.

Outside of worst case scenarios, consider the crime and murder rate of NYC vs. that of Palo Alto.

You really think NYC is safer?

Go to Columbia if you think that's a better school, but not going to Stanford because you think you'll be safer at Columbia is a little silly.

Thanks a lot! I also realize that it is very expensive to live in NYC. Because there are few classes during the day in Columbia Univ Stat program, is it feasible for me to find an internship to cover some expense? ( I will hold a F-1 visa.)

Your ability to find a job in New York really depends on your specific skills and work history. I will say that you will DEFINITELY have to start your search well before your arrival if you choose Columbia. The unemployment rate in NYC went up dramatically between Feb and March, and many companies are in hiring freezes. Obviously, finding employment in California will also be difficult, but the cost of living will make a huge difference, especially while you are unemployed and looking or if you choose not to work. In my opinion, the potential for an earthquake is a risk I would take considering a life in NYC with a family and no job will cost you upwards of $3,000/month (if you're lucky). If you can only work 20 hours per week, I would advise that this would do very, very little to help you.. I hate to sound gloomy, but it's an unfortunate reality that most people don't realize before moving here.

To answer one of your other questions, it will absolutely be possible to find a job anywhere in the country (including NYC) if you attend Stanford.

Stanford gets my vote.

Also, job prospectswise, I really don't know if a MA in statistics would be better than MA in IPS. With the little (or no) knowledge I have about the two fields, I would place my bets on IPS. I could be wrong..and IPS being my guess, IPS from Stanford would outweigh Statistics from Columbia :P

I know, weird body of logic, might not make sense. I do however want you to pray for me. Hope this qualifies me to be a recipient :P

GreAgain,

If it's any consolation, you would greatly benefit me by choosing to attend Stanford heh. A quick background: I've been rejected to 3 graduate programs (statistics), haven't heard back from 4 (don't know what to expect...although the signs are not too promising), and waitlisted to 1 (Columbia's statistics program).

Thus, your decision to attend either Stanford/Columbia directly impacts my likelihood of attending graduate school. So, you'd be helping out a fellow applicant and prospective student by choosing Stanford :P (although there's likely people in the same boat from the other side, waitlist at Stanford, but then again, they probably have many other opportunities if they've even been considered by Stanford :P).

Outside of worst case scenarios, consider the crime and murder rate of NYC vs. that of Palo Alto.

You really think NYC is safer?

Actually, NYC statistically has less violent crime than SF:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Sta ... crime_rate

But coming from someone familiar with both campuses, neither are "dangerous". Columbia's well-policed and Stanford's out in Palo Alto.

The earthquake fear seems silly too. Certainly nothing to base a decision on.

I vote that you pick Stanford to help BayAreaStat86. :mrgreen:

Seriously, though, aren't these two completely different fields? Doesn't what you'd actually be studying play a role in the decision?