MPH/Med Anthro Joint Degree Programs

1leafy

There are at least two schools that would allow me to complete a Master of Public Health degree in conjunction with the PhD in medical anthropology if I were accepted. I've been wondering...

Is it "worth it" to get an MPH along with the PhD? Does the usefulness of the degree depend on what populations you want to study and/or the area you want to study in? Of the med anthro professors I've talked to, about half have an MPH along with their PhD, and it does seem to depend on these two factors (i.e. those working in the U.S. are more likely to have the MPH). 

I want to to do fieldwork in U.S., and additionally I plan to utilize a critical approach to evaluate my proposed issue. I have a feeling it may be useful to have the MPH as I would better understand how health statistics about U.S. populations are gathered and presented (and in turn influence policy changes).

I was trained predominantly in bioanth and archaeology with a focus on cultural only in my final year, so I am quite new to the subfield I want to pursue graduate study in. Any advice would be appreciated!  :)

From what I understand, the MPH is very valuable to those that may not want to pursue a career in academia, as well as those that may want a safety net (in case a career in academia doesn't work out). That's not to say that if you want a career in academia, it would make you less valuable - being able to teach more than just anthropology is a great asset.

Anyway, for the people that I know who are pursuing MPH/PhDs, they are looking at government, NGO, and private sector careers where a professional degree (i.e. the MPH) will give them added skills - biostatistics, modeling, project planning and implementation, community outreach, etc. Few employers outside of academia want individuals who possess three degrees (BA, MA, PhD) in anthropology.

That said, there are a few ways you can go about this. The first is what you have mentioned - the MPH/PhD program. Off the top of my head, that's available at Case, Pitt, University of Washington, UNC-CH (I think)... Second, you can do what was suggested to me at Berkeley - start a PhD program, get candidacy, leave to get your MPH, go back and finish the PhD. I might do that, depending on the program I get into. Third (and most likely to be my choice), you can get your PhD and then go into an MPH program. As I understand it, if you join an MPH program during candidacy or after your PhD, the program is generally streamlined to one year of methods courses - as one friend put it, "Skip all the theory and application courses during your MPH, that's what you have the PhD for. Just get in and out." Finally, you could just do it the old-fashioned way: Get the MPH first, and then go into a PhD program.

The bottom line: The MPH is definitely useful for the career-minded. Whether you want to go into a joint program is up to you.

To weigh in, I've been advised to wait until I achieve candidacy to go for the MPH, as I will probably have a much better idea at that point exactly what I need out of a program that can potentially supply crucial credentials that will support my dissertation research in the field.  Of course, that won't stop me from going for an MPH in the event I don't get into a PhD program at all, but it just seems like something to think about. 

Thanks a lot; this is all very helpful. I had no idea I could go for the MPH after achieving candidacy. 

I can't imagine myself outside of academia after grad school, but it hadn't occurred to me that an MPH would provide a good safety net if I can't land a teaching job (especially if the current state of the academic job market doesn't improve). 

• 4 weeks later...

Quick question: which programs offer both the MPH and PHD in medical anthropoloigy? I'm starting a M.Sc. in medical anthropology in the fall, and I'm starting to look into PHD programs for next year.

I know University of Washington does: http://depts.washington.edu/anthweb/graduate/MPH-PhD Pretty sure that's what someone in my theory class from last quarter was doing. And lucky for you that next year, they'll be admitting for the sociocultural track again, if that's what you're looking to do. 

Check out the Anthro dept. at the University of Florida - it would be a good home for you. I have three friends/colleagues who completed their MPH while working on their PhD in Anthro.