Group Interview Advice!

MSW03

Hello everyone! I was invited for a group interview for my top program of choice, and I've never participated in a group interview before. Does anyone have some insight into group interviews for graduate school? Apparently my group interview will consist of 4-6 students being interviewed by 2 professors. We'll be given group exercises, an individual question, and a written exercise. They are also going to give a presentation of what the school has to offer. So it seems to be looking positive and informal so far. But I am wondering about the groups exercises, what sort of things should I expect for that? Any insight would be great! Thanks guys!! :)

I had a group interview once for an early entrance program. Six candidates were presented a case. Three were assigned in favor and three against. We had about 10 minutes to prepare arguments and review the case. Ultimately we were having a debate in front of a panel of four interviewers.

Given that you are applying for Social Work, I think you can expect to be presented a case. It will probably not result in a debate as did ours.

I just was invited to a group interview yesterday, for school counseling. I'm really uncertain about what to expect, as I've never had a group interview before.

I've done a little research, and it seems they look for people who don't hold back, aren't afraid to be a part of the group, but come off as supportive of others rather than trying to talk over everyone else.

Honestly, I have no idea what to expect and am really hoping others can chime in!

I also have a group interview at U of Vermont for their Masters in Clinical Mental Health Counseling program. This is what they have on their website: "The group interview is critical in the application process. Faculty will be looking for evidence of candidates’ self-awareness, awareness of social and cultural issues, ability to communicate with others, and interest and commitment to the profession of counseling." I know this might not be the same for all programs, but may help give you guys an idea of what to expect!

Edited by mfoxak

So guys, god was shining some light down on me this week! I was training for a new organization & two grad students from the university I'm having my interview at came in to give a presentation!! I couldn't believe it. They told me that for CSUN (might apply to other colleges as well) if you get an interview you are pretty much in! They said its hard to get an interview. The interview is just to see you in person and to get a feel for why you chose to go into the profession & why their school. They pretty much want to see how you react with other ppl, that you are respectful of other's views and can work in a team. They said that all of the people that were at the interview wound up being the in the program :) now they are all students together! So be hopeful :)

Yes, some places have the "sanity check" just to make sure that everyone gets along with and likes the students. Others are still competitive. That's good news about yours!