Fulbright 2015-2016

Oliebollen

Alifbaarbie,

So how did it go?

It went really well! The interview was around 20 minutes (as they had promised). They asked me to describe myself, and my experiences working with kids, what age group I was most interested in working with (and why), and why I had chosen the Fulbright Program/their Program in specific. 

I was a little nervous at first, and I answered each question thoroughly...because I wanted to make sure I got my point across. They said they were impressed with my extensive background in education (which I do have). At this point, I'm leaving this in the hands of the most high...let's see how this goes...another month of anxiety awaits! 

Congrats on making it through your interview,  Alifbaarbie! I just survived mine about 2 hours ago for the UK.  I was surprised how little response/feedback I received beyond the questions, but everyone was kind and clear with their questions. Best of luck to all of you.... !especially if you're not going for the same partnership award I want... ;)

I'd love to hear how your interviews go! Make sure you all practice an "Elevator speech" about your proposed project and its impact!

Hugs and best wishes,

RP68

Medievalist- (Cool name, by the way! Is the MA you applied for studying Medieval ages from a history or literature perspective?) I received my notification on the 5th, and my interview is the 17th, so maybe they just notify a week and a half to two weeks before your interview? That seems like a fair possibility.

I still can't seem to figure out if every UK award requires an interview. I've heard so much conflicting information.  I know that the UK-US partnership website says the following: 

Q: I haven't been selected for a telephone interview. Can I find out why?

A: The application pool is large and highly competitive. Given the number of applications received, It is not possible for the Commission to provide feedback on unsuccessful applications.

However... I'm also under the impression that "unsuccessful applications" refers to those that were not recommended, as I have heard that all recommended applicants receive the final email stating "Not Selected," "Alternate," or "Principle." 

It also says elsewhere on the website: "Following the application deadline and subsequent review of applications, successful applicants may be invited for telephone interviews by the Fulbright Commission" 

I have heard that interpreted in two ways: 1) That some applicants may be successful (recommended), and some or all of those will be interviewed depending on the program. OR 2) That those who are recommended may or may not be interviewed, depending on whether or not the next step of review finds them successful.

Is this information helpful? Probably not. But that is what I kept rereading (OVER AND OVER), and I can't seem to get anything clearer out of it than that.

As for my application--- University of Sheffield. I don't think anyone on here yet has posted about Exeter interviews. I hope that means good news for you!

Hi Rosy - I'm studying Medieval History - particularly Western European religious history from 1050-1250. Thank you for all this info. I emailed Ms. Mazer, the Fulbright Program Manager for Europe/Eurasia, and she replied the following:

"The Fulbright Commission does interview some candidates, but if you don’t hear from them about an interview it doesn’t mean that you are not being considered. They may not be interviewing for every partnership program."

I still have not heard anything, which I'm hoping just means that Exeter is not doing interviews. According to the stats on the Fulbright UK page (http://us.fulbrightonline.org/countries/selectedcountry/united-kingdom), 16 people applied to Exeter for the Fulbright last year, and I still haven't found anyone on here applying to Exeter, so I'm hoping that means a lot less people applied there this year. 

Hey I haven't heard on any interviews yet. And just got notified that I had to resend in my transcript. I had sent them in on Jan 21st but graduated in December and my university was super slow posting it to my official transcript. So I had to resend it today to be sure that on the transcript is states that I have officially graduated. So make sure it's posted on the original transcript!

Medievalist  and DBloom--Any news on the interviews for you yet? Fingers crossed for you!

Haven't heard anything. It's getting quite late now - don't think I'll get an interview. Everyone keeps saying how mysterious the interview process is and how it may not mean anything, but I can't help agonizing over it!

Hey I haven't heard on any interviews yet. And just got notified that I had to resend in my transcript. I had sent them in on Jan 21st but graduated in December and my university was super slow posting it to my official transcript. So I had to resend it today to be sure that on the transcript is states that I have officially graduated. So make sure it's posted on the original transcript!

Wait, now I'm slightly freaking out...I'm graduating this June but on my school portal it says my expected graduation term is Fall 2015!! Is this bad? Should I call them to let them know? D: I'm not sure if it says it on my official transcript, but when I looked at my unofficial one it didn't say anything about graduation.

Congrats on making it through your interview,  Alifbaarbie! I just survived mine about 2 hours ago for the UK.  I was surprised how little response/feedback I received beyond the questions, but everyone was kind and clear with their questions. Best of luck to all of you.... !especially if you're not going for the same partnership award I want... ;)

I'd love to hear how your interviews go! Make sure you all practice an "Elevator speech" about your proposed project and its impact!

Hugs and best wishes,

RP68

Thanks. I think my interviewers were somewhat responsive, but I prepared myself for the absolute worst...so that helped a little bit. 

Good luck to everyone else completing interviews this week!

:)

Edited by alifbaarbie

Does anyone know how the ranking works? I gather there is ranking every step of the process and sometimes the lowest ranked at one junction could be the highest in another and vice versa.

I have no idea, but that's a nice thought. I wouldn't want to have the same ranking throughout each committee, unless I was high up for each one.... >.<

Edited by rockrmoose

Unfortunately, I know nothing about this. Your username caught my attention though. Which country did you apply to? Macedonia here. :)

Also very curious about this as I am also a Balkan applicant/Balkan fanatic and would love to hear about your interest in the region :)

I applied for Montenegrin ETA and the Turkish CLS Program. Tspier, awesome about Macedonia and best of luck! TravelingTeacher, what country did you apply for?

I studied abroad in Serbia & Kosovo. Right now I'm working on an undergraduate thesis about late 19th/early 20th c. British travelogues written about the Balkans. Also, it's awesome to hear that a self-identified "Balkan fanatic" wants to teach social studies! Hopefully you'll be able to talk up an under-discussed region with your students!

Yo. I applied for an ETA and my second CLS summer. I have a friend currently doing an ETA in Taiwan that did the Advanced Chinese CLS program with me this past summer. She had to miss the last two days of CLS to make it to her Fulbright orientation. From what I understand it is possible to do both, but there is a lot of logistical planning that needs to be taken care of in advance.

laowhy, this is exactly what I was hoping to hear! Thanks so much!

so i've been wondering...do you anticipate finalists getting earlier feedback regarding the final decision? I'm going to hope that an earlier notification of recommendation also equals an earlier notification of whether it is all real....or not. lol . #Theanxiety 

so i've been wondering...do you anticipate finalists getting earlier feedback regarding the final decision? I'm going to hope that an earlier notification of recommendation also equals an earlier notification of whether it is all real....or not. lol . #Theanxiety 

I think you could be making that up but because I am also anxious I'm going to pretend that it's real and use it as a sliver of hope. 

Edited by RRachel1

How do we find out when our country posted finalists last year? I am so nervous. I wanna know now!!!!!!!

You can look through the tabs in this google doc.

https://docs.google.com/a/ucsc.edu/spreadsheets/d/1AlU2xDiiVhQjK3quPy6qXJuhgXYghzzG8L4YNT0unX0/edit#gid=536144359

I really doubt that we'll hear anything before mid-March (ish)...BUT I've been assuming that we would hear earlier than finalists last year. Especially because my country didn't hear until APRIL 23rd last year!!

....April 23rd. #nojustno 

....April 23rd. #nojustno

My thoughts exactly! But last year applicants also didn't find out the results from the first round until the very end of January. I'm reeeeally hoping things are moving more swiftly on every level this year, since we were notified so early.

I really doubt that we'll hear anything before mid-March (ish)...BUT I've been assuming that we would hear earlier than finalists last year. Especially because my country didn't hear until APRIL 23rd last year!!

Mine was April 11th. That's SO late!

Edited by whaynes2

My thoughts exactly! But last year applicants also didn't find out the results from the first round until the very end of January. I'm reeeeally hoping things are moving more swiftly on every level this year, since we were notified so early.

I'm not sure if I can wait that long. 

Not sure. What I will do. Maybe graduate (LOL)

I'm not sure if I can wait that long. 

Not sure. What I will do. Maybe graduate (LOL)

Y'all, this is exactly how I feel! I have a full time job and I still feel like I have to fill every second outside of work with stuff to keep my mind off of waiting. And just so everyone knows, since 2008, the only countries that have been notified before March have been Ireland (last year), Indonesia (twice), Austria (Back in like 2010) and Belgium(2008). So... I'm guessing we should at least stay away from the "refresh" button obsession until March.

Yeah.. that logic still isn't helping, is it?

My country notified May 2nd last year. I am fortunate enough to be in a career field where a lot of offers don't come until later in May and June (woo woo education!) but if I get an offer of a teaching job before I hear back from Fulbright, I have no idea what I'll do.