Arts Administration/Arts Management Graduate Degree

Natalie77

I have a BFA in Art History and an MA in Art Education. I'm VERY interested in further study in Arts Administration/Arts Management. I'm looking at schools and it seems that some programs are open to applicants with little art background, with a very strong business component--some even dual degrees with MBA. I want a program with a strong Visual Arts track record, with peers who have strong Visual Arts background. I don't want the dual degree (MA/MBA) but I would like an even focus on both non-profit and for-profit sectors, development, finance, etc. Of course, I would love a program that will give me employable skills in this horrible job market--hence, the openness to for-profit sector. I don't hear much about the quality of this degree and which one is best based on my needs. Help?

Go look at CAA, which would list AA/AM degrees: http://www.collegeart.org/directories

I searched "Arts Administration". You're more likely to find what you want by comparing these profiles, and there's a possibility the CAA guide would be in your local library. You can also order just the AM programs for only $18. 

Edited by m-ttl

• 1 year later...

Hi there!

I'm in the last semester of my master's in Arts Policy and Administration at Ohio State University (http://aaep.osu.edu/arts-policy-administration-ma-program) and it might be worth a look.  We take half of our classes in the public affairs school and half in the arts education/administration department.  

Pros:

• Columbus is a cooler city than you would expect!  Really good support for the arts and culture.
  • People in the program are really nice and supportive.
  • Funding is available - almost all students have some type of support (TA position, fellowship, etc)
  • Students come from lots of different backgrounds (theater, music, dance, visual arts, art ed, english) so it's a nice mix of people and talents
  • The good professors are really good (but they're in the minority, in my opinion)
  • The Barnett Center for Integrated Arts and Entrepreneurship does a lot of great programs and brings more attention to the for-profit arts

Cons (for me):

• Pretty heavily focused on policy, so unless you want to work in government, some classes might not be super applicable (but they are still required). 
  • Lots of department/university politics
  • Seems to be a better fit for people who want to stay in academia (I don't)
  • Lots of coursework in a relatively short amount of time (49 credit hrs and a thesis to graduate, 2 yrs of funding as a TA)

Let me know if I can give you more info!

I would look at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, they're definitely more visually focused than say MA/MBA schools like Claremont and SMU. Avoid Georgetown and American University as well if that's not your thing. 

http://www.artsadministration.org/find-a-program/graduate-other-programs/

That website is a great resource and where I got started on my journey.

Hello fellow arts admin/ management folks!  Anyone having any luck with admission decisions?  So far I've only heard from two schools, but I saw that Columbia started sending out decisions this week!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone! I received my admission decisions related to arts admin/management and I still can't believe it.

So how do I decide between two awesome universities like COLUMBIA & CARNEGIE MELLON? Can anyone who goes to these schools provide more insight?

Applied: 3/3: Columbia University (Teacher's College: Master's Arts Administration), Carnegie Mellon University (Heinz College: Master's Arts Management), University of Southern California (School of Dramatic Arts: Master's Applied Theatre Arts)

Interviewed: none

Accepted: 2/3: Columbia University, Carnegie Mellon University

Rejected: 1/3: University of Southern California

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.  I'm hoping someone will respond to my question.  I'm an international student and I've been accepted to American U, Indiana U and University at Buffalo to pursue Arts Admin/Mgmt.  I'm torn between Indiana and American.  

Can anyone provide some insight into these programs?  

Thanks

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...