Beginning to look at Grad schools. Need to see what's in my reach

nrobseni

Hi all, from a mid-sized public university. >24,000. 3.3(cum) gpa. One summer of research. 2 decent LOR 1 shitty one. I do well on standardized test and I have the majority of the summer to practice GRE testing. I would really like to do biochemistry for a masters and I would like to be financed( research or ta'ing is fine). I don't mind going anywhere in the country for education. I also would really look forward to working in a lab or teaching.

Hi all, from a mid-sized public university. >24,000. 3.3(cum) gpa. One summer of research. 2 decent LOR 1 shitty one. I do well on standardized test and I have the majority of the summer to practice GRE testing. I would really like to do biochemistry for a masters and I would like to be financed( research or ta'ing is fine). I don't mind going anywhere in the country for education. I also would really look forward to working in a lab or teaching.

I think the best way to get a good prediction is to talk to your adviser or PI.  Mine suggested I apply to schools that I thought were out of my reach (ie Caltech) despite my somewhat low GPA (3.5).  They have any idea of what kind of honest rec they will write, the way your program is perceived by other departments, and how your stats will figure. 

I would also suggest taking a year off if it doesn't seem like you'll get funding next cycle.  This could help you replace the shitty rec with a good one.  Having full time experience in a lab will help you show you'll be a good graduate student and a good bet for the program to take on and fund. While you said you don't mind moving, you could also try to get into the department you'd want to attend for your masters as a tech.  If you make a great impression to people in the department, they may be more likely to overlook other aspects of your application.