American vs Syracuse just got harder. Help!

So I thought my decision was pretty much all made as American gave me a large tuition scholarship and a GA that pays $12/hr (renewable provided I keep a 3.3) and I had heard nothing from Syracuse about money. However tonight I got an e-mail that Syracuse is offering me a $10,000 scholarship for the first year (not sure if it's renewable or anything, let's just assume it is like the other one for the time being). Syracuse also has a lot of assistantships you can apply for, which are generally posted near the end of this semester or over the summer, but again you never know if you'll get them, and I'm not totally sure what the pay/potential tuition remission is.

I'm in for the International Communication program at American and the joint MA/MS in IR/PR at Syracuse. The Syracuse one is a bit more expensive because you go to school over both summer (I'd have to check exactly how much). You also spend your last semester in DC doing an internship which somewhat negates the drawbacks of it's location. I'm actually in the Syracuse area now and moved here basically for my boyfriend (2.5 years). If I go to American we'll have to long distance for at least a while, but I do like the thought of being in DC much more than Syracuse. I know I should do what I think is best for my education/career, but now I'm not sure what that is and I would feel guilty leaving my boyfriend. I'm visiting American on the 13th, but I have to notify both schools by the 15th so it seems like I have to have pretty much decided by then!

Does anyone have any thoughts on the merits of Syracuse vs. American or anything that would help me make up my mind? I think I almost liked it better when it seemed like the decision was made for me, I'm too indecisive for this process!

Hey firefly... I am having a similar dilemma. I got roughy the same offer from Syracuse and UMD, and I just cant decide. The Public Diplomacy program is a little different from all the typical IR/MPP programs; I am just not sure if it is different in a good way. What are your career plans? I want to go fed. gov, so I feel like it just makes sense to go to UMD. But on the other hand, Maxwell and Newhouse are pretty well regarded, and the program evidently has a small, family kind of feel to it. My aid at Syracuse is not necessarily renewable for the 2nd year and it sounds like yours isnt either. Do you know if the DC semester internships are generally paid? I tried to call and find this out, but nobody immediately available had an answer. Furthermore, is it reasonable to get an assistantship for just the one semester of the that 2nd year? Seems like most assistantships require a year commitment (in general, maybe the PD program is different).

Congrats on the 10K in any case! Was that the Liu Foundation thing?

You MUST go to school in DC. There is NO other option. All knowledge and power emanate from DC. Without DC there is NO life - you'll be cast into outer darkness if you don't go to American - because outside of DC (and maybe NY) there exists only darkness - deep, pitch-black never-ending darkness... If you don't go to DC you won't be able to build a "network" and get "contacts" or work at "internships" throughout the year. Basically outside of DC there exists a black hole from which DC is exempt - there is nothing outside DC - NOTHING.

So IMHO - go to Syracuse. :D

Thanks 99, I don't think it was the Liu foundation as I believe you had to specifically apply for it. Congrats on your aide too! I do have to contact Syracuse to find out more details on the aid (like if it's renewable). I also want to find out about GAs, like you said, if there could be some for only a semester, and also what the average pay/potential tuition remission. I only see one GA posted on the Syracuse job board and it looks like it's for a year and includes 24 credits of tuition and about $10,000 pay, which seems like it would be on the very high end of things!

I don't know about the internships in DC being paid either. I guess you'd have to find out where people intern and check to see if that agency/company pays interns.

I'm not entirely sure what type of company my career would take me to. I'm interested in International Education, so that could be for the govt, a university, or a private company. I'm also interested in working for a UNESCO type agency. I'm not sure which would be better for that. I guess I'll have to find out the rest of the info from Syracuse before I can decide.

HisRoyalHighness- other than Syracuse being part of the never-ending darkness outside of DC/NYC any thoughts on why you would recommend Syracuse over DC?

Since I'm trying to leave "emotion" and "personal" situations out of the equation at this point. Does anyone have any thoughts on American vs. Syracuse? Which one do you think has the better name? Which one do you think has the better alumni network? Would one give me a better chance of getting a (good) job after graduation? I keep looking over the courses and numbers and all and it's just not helping me decide.