Columbia? UPenn?

Feelme

MS programs in Mechanical Engineering at Columbia University or at University of Pennsylvania, I need to make a desicsion.

Yes, they are not so strong in ME, so, all I want is to get 50,000$/year or more at the beginning.

By attending which school can I achive it ?

i guess it'll depend on which part of the country you are in, but $50,000 is pretty normal for even BS graduates. WIth MS, especially from Columbia or UPenn (big names even though not highly ranked in engineering) your starting salary will most likely be higher than 50k.

Those schools also might provide additional perks, such as eligibility to take business classes there.

i guess it'll depend on which part of the country you are in, but $50,000 is pretty normal for even BS graduates. WIth MS, especially from Columbia or UPenn (big names even though not highly ranked in engineering) your starting salary will most likely be higher than 50k.

Those schools also might provide additional perks, such as eligibility to take business classes there.

:)

How much is I mean enough for MS from Columbia or UPenn?

You might want to call or email the departments about career stats/salary info.

I ask them about it but they said they can't tell me because of the privacy... but I wonder could you tell me how much is sounded good for starting salary of grads from Columbia and UPenn?

I should talk to my friend about this. He has a BS in MechE from CMU, and his first offers were definitely not for $50 grand a year, more like 30,000.

I should talk to my friend about this. He has a BS in MechE from CMU, and his first offers were definitely not for $50 grand a year, more like 30,000.

On!!! I ...so maybe $50000 is "large" eough?...

Typically, a masters degree adds between $10-20k to the undergrad value, and the PhD another $10-20k after that. $50k with an MS is very reasonable after UPenn, should be a cakewalk after Columbia.

You mean .. I can earn more money if I choose Columbia? :?

You mean .. I can earn more money if I choose Columbia? :?

Probably, but nothing is guaranteed. Most of the schools that are offering the higher-paying jobs in any industry start at the schools that have (a) the best rep in the overall field and (B) match their specific needs. Not knowing your specific field and who needs it for what, I can only say that on average high-value offers are more likely to come to Columbia.

Even a BS in ME will get you >$50,000 most places in the country. With an MS you can easily start at >$80,000, at least in Los Angeles where I currently work. Here's what I've learned from being on the both the applying and hiring sides of things:

Having a big name on your resume will get you some more money, but the biggest advantage is options. You're much more likely to get a first interview with an MS in ME from Caltech than, for example, one from UC Riverside (remember that hiring managers generally go through large stacks of resumes when filling a position) -- and when you do get offers you'll be able to play them off against each other. Maybe you'll choose the offer that gives you more money, or maybe you'll realize that you're making a career of egineering and you should be happy in your job. Choose the job close to your family or the one that really matches your interests. You'll have that luxury with a big name on your resume.

Even a BS in ME will get you >$50,000 most places in the country. With an MS you can easily start at >$80,000, at least in Los Angeles where I currently work. Here's what I've learned from being on the both the applying and hiring sides of things:

Having a big name on your resume will get you some more money, but the biggest advantage is options. You're much more likely to get a first interview with an MS in ME from Caltech than, for example, one from UC Riverside (remember that hiring managers generally go through large stacks of resumes when filling a position) -- and when you do get offers you'll be able to play them off against each other. Maybe you'll choose the offer that gives you more money, or maybe you'll realize that you're making a career of egineering and you should be happy in your job. Choose the job close to your family or the one that really matches your interests. You'll have that luxury with a big name on your resume.

As you may notice, I'm going back to grad school for anthropology, but I have a BS from Harvey Mudd and currently work as an engineer -- so my information is both credible and up-to-date :).

• 2 weeks later...

As you may notice, I'm going back to grad school for anthropology, but I have a BS from Harvey Mudd and currently work as an engineer -- so my information is both credible and up-to-date :).

...still don't know which one should I choose...

• 1 month later...

I mulled over the same decision because originally Columbia was my top choice [it really only had the advantage of NYC, but good enough there]. After my acceptance to UPenn I really sat down and weighed the pro's and con's of each school. I talked to alumni, delved into research, and looked at my future career/life goals and saw what had the best fit [i'll be earning a Masters in Biotechnology which mixes Engineering and various Biological sub-field classes and want to go to business school eventually].

Honestly, take a look at what you want out of the program. If all you are looking for is a job that pays you over $50,000 then get in touch with alumni of the program and find out how strong their career services is and the quality of their workshops, career placement, and contacts. [i know for UPenn the career services for Engineering is extremely strong.] If you're looking into future business school, or the location of your job placement is a factor, see what companies or networks these schools have contacts with. Also look specifically into research if that is something you wanted to do as well and see which labs appeal more to you.

At the end of the day, the decision is really up to you and what the best fit for you is. Also try visiting the campuses or talking to students. If the programs are relatively equal then it is honestly where you feel more at home and how hard you work while you are there that matters.

Good luck with your decision, it seems that wherever you go you'll be just fine. =)