Question re: UK offers

Caorann

Hello all,

I'm hoping some of you who are familiar with the UK system will chime in with advice on navigating this situation correctly.

I've applied to four universities for a taught masters (and been offered conditional acceptance into three, waiting on the last), so I'm thrilled, of course.

The problem is that all three are asking me to accept or decline their offer in what seems a very short time frame. I've applied for two scholarships that are somewhat pivotal in my decision and, while I hope to find out if I've made their short lists in the next few weeks, I won't know if I'm ultimately successful until much later. 

I'm concerned that if I request an extension on the deadline that asking for such a long time to accept or decline could be problematic or that the offer might be withdrawn in favour of someone a bit more definite in their plans.

In a nutshell, if I receive one scholarship, I'll go to one university, if I receive the other scholarship, I'll attend another (both scholarships are tied to particular universities,  and not interchangeable). If I don't get either, I'll likely need to go to the third university that's offered me a place, as it's the least costly.

Sorry if that's completely convoluted. I hope someone can shed some light on the best way to proceed. I'm thinking that a politely written letter explaining the situation fully would be best, but don't want to be "that annoying student" before I even arrive at their school.

Thoughts?

Do you need to pay a deposit when you accept? If not, you could just accept your place and withdraw if you don't get the scholarships. It's kind of rude, but I've heard of people doing it.

I'm also applying in the UK, but for PhDs, and they have been willing to wait until I hear about funding before I decide. I think for a masters there are probably more applicants though, so they might not want to wait as long.