Syracuse Maxwell - Admitted thread Fall 2014

Admission e-mail received from Maxwell on 1/31! Still waiting on the financial aid announcement and results from other schools, but getting this first acceptance letter back so quickly has me cautiously optimistic.  :) 

Who else got in? 

Congrats. I went the SU for undergrad and some some Maxwell professors. It's a great program. If things don't work out with my application this year I will definitely apply there for 2015. 

Ok, a lot of people will talk down SU because of it's location, and yes, it snows all the time, but it's also around the Adirondack State Park, which is larger than Yellow Stone, Yosemite, and Grand Canyon national parks combined. Even if you're not a big outdoors person, it's worth checking out, it's a very beautiful part of the country. 

Also, our basketball team looks like favorites to win the NCAA this year if you're into that sort of thing  :D

@ArtsyGril: I submitted my app to Syracuse for the MPA program on Jan. 15th and they replied on the 31st, so 15 days. I'm hoping response time is a predictor of funding--but applying the last day might just have left my app at the top of the pile. ;)  I've also since received a kind e-mail from a current student inviting me to write if I have any questions (although this seems to be pro forma at most schools). 

@TimB: Thanks for the info! After a decade in a city of 20 million, I'm totally ready to go someplace greener for a year before diving into my next megalopolis. (I'm way too lazy to live outside the city for long.  :) ) Where else did you apply? I think my choice in the end is going to come down to job prospects after graduation, especially the ability to keep working abroad. 

@TimB: Thanks for the info! After a decade in a city of 20 million, I'm totally ready to go someplace greener for a year before diving into my next megalopolis. (I'm way too lazy to live outside the city for long.  :) ) Where else did you apply? I think my choice in the end is going to come down to job prospects after graduation, especially the ability to keep working abroad. 

Last year I applied to NYU, Columbia, The New School, and the City College of New York, all New York City schools, and made it in to those. By the time I was ready to accept an offer though I was also about to get married and the idea of paying for the two of us live in NYC, mostly on debt, or my wife trying to find a job in the 9% unemployment market that is NYC, scared me away.

This year we both have really good jobs in North Carolina, so I only applied to Duke since we don't plan on moving, although I might still apply to NC State if Duke says no. Next year though, provided I'm not in school, I plan on casting a much wider net. I should have A's in the micro and macroeconomics courses I'm currently taking under my belt, and maybe a sumnmer calculus course finished. Quant is really the only weak point in my application currently, and those grades will close that gap, so I figure I'll make it in somewhere I like with decent funding, even if it means waiting a year.

I actually already have pretty close to the job I'd like with post-masters, it's just in health policy which doesn't interest me as much and I'd like to pivot to IR and social policy, so I don't mind waiting.

If you're interested in seeing the parks, Syracuse has a really awesome outing program. It's student run and they do all sorts of beginer climbing, hiking, and caving trips for free. It's one of the biggest perks of the school IMO. Niagra Falls is in Buffalo which is only 2 hours away.  Also, Montreal is a really neat city and isn't too too far away.

Edited by TimB

I just got in as well, YAY! I'm really wait wait waiting on financial aid - with a new baby on the way it's going to make a huge difference. I'm in to the joint MPA/MAIR. Really glad to hear nice things about Syracuse, @TimB. In the middle of a Chicago winter, moving to MORE snow was not sounding good, even though I'm really excited about hte program.

How are you all managing the waiting? Trying not to get an ulcer at present.

Hi, I just joined thegradcafe. Until now, I'd navigated the forums with the help of Dr. Google but its time to stop mooching and star making contributions.

I received the Admit email to the MAIR program a couple days ago. And like everybody else, am waiting on the funding annoucement.

I am in a unique situation. I plan to attend part-time. I will be working an hour outside of Syracuse in Rome, and plan to commute to class in the afternoons. The Maxwell website mentions the part time option for the MPA but nothing for the MAIR.

Has anybody come across any part-timers?

Syracuse definitely has some unique advantages with the one year program and location outside of a major city. Given that some admissions staff have been known to visit this forum, however, I'm reluctant to declare a favorite until results are in.  :D

I think I might be circumnavigating the globe during the last week of March (literally... 72+ hours on an airplane in a week :blink:) -- but feel free to send me a PM if you need any recommendations for travelling in Seoul!

Last year I applied to NYU, Columbia, The New School, and the City College of New York, all New York City schools, and made it in to those. By the time I was ready to accept an offer though I was also about to get married and the idea of paying for the two of us live in NYC, mostly on debt, or my wife trying to find a job in the 9% unemployment market that is NYC, scared me away.

This year we both have really good jobs in North Carolina, so I only applied to Duke since we don't plan on moving, although I might still apply to NC State if Duke says no. Next year though, provided I'm not in school, I plan on casting a much wider net. I should have A's in the micro and macroeconomics courses I'm currently taking under my belt, and maybe a sumnmer calculus course finished. Quant is really the only weak point in my application currently, and those grades will close that gap, so I figure I'll make it in somewhere I like with decent funding, even if it means waiting a year.

I actually already have pretty close to the job I'd like with post-masters, it's just in health policy which doesn't interest me as much and I'd like to pivot to IR and social policy, so I don't mind waiting.

If you're interested in seeing the parks, Syracuse has a really awesome outing program. It's student run and they do all sorts of beginer climbing, hiking, and caving trips for free. It's one of the biggest perks of the school IMO. Niagra Falls is in Buffalo which is only 2 hours away.  Also, Montreal is a really neat city and isn't too too far away.

Hi,

Any news from Duke? By when are they supposed to let us know? All this waiting is killing me :/

Hi,

Any news from Duke? By when are they supposed to let us know? All this waiting is killing me :/

No :(

Their letter said mid-March but it looks like in the past they've released them in the last week of February or early March. I'm going on vacation to Death Valley and Sequoia National Park  next week so I'm hoping they'll come out while I'm away from the internet and I'll come back to LA to find an acceptance letter (or rejection, in which case I can just go back to Death Valley and move in :P  )

I keep oscillating between thinking I have a great chance of getting in and then thinking that there is no way I'll get in with my quant score. All I know is that I really wish I had gotten my application for community college in earlier this summer because if I had I'd already have my micro/macro grades in and I'm getting easy A's right now. Oh well...

Edited by TimB

Got my official acceptance letter today after an email a couple weeks ago, nice feeling but still holding my breath on the funding which might hold me back! Good job to everyone else too

Is there any practical advantage in doing the combined MPA/MAIR? The school doesn't report separate employment statistics for students doing the dual degree, but I'm not sure that they would be particularly different from the stats for those who just did the one year program. 

Any chance there are some current Maxwell students lurking that could give some advice on this?

"Is there any practical advantage in doing the combined MPA/MAIR? The school doesn't report separate employment statistics for students doing the dual degree, but I'm not sure that they would be particularly different from the stats for those who just did the one year program. 

Any chance there are some current Maxwell students lurking that could give some advice on this?"

I'm a current maxwell student in the MPA and my advice is don't really do the dual. The advantage of maxwell is it's quick and it's cheaper being 1 year and they give decent aid through assistantships. The career prospects are worse than most of our competitors with most people going to entry-level jobs. So just don't think having more education here will make you more employable, it really won't, the most important thing in these professional programs is 1) learn what you need to learn 2) have a good network of classmates

I just got an update email saying they just finished final round admits.  I'm wondering if anyone else on the board has heard from them?  They said financial info will start being released the week of March 17.....this wait is killin' me!