Syracuse Maxwell - Admitted thread Fall 2014

Does anyone know when we can expect to hear from Maxwell about funding? I wasn't able to visit, so I'm still a bit unsure about the vibe and quality of their MPA program and how much money I am actually willing to drop on this baby. Did any of you guys apply for the ATLANTIS dual degree track?

Edited by pyrhuss

Is anyone planning to go to one of the admitted students days? I'm looking at the April dates.

hi all, i just popped back into this forum at random, congrats all Maxwell accepts!~ i attended accepted students day last year and my summary of the event is on the old maxwell thread: 

side note, i was offered the option of dual track last year but decided to defer and spend a year doing other things. currently i am debating whether to attend Maxwell or UCSD MPIA for fall 2014.

Edited by WakeMeUpB4UGoGo

Just got notification of financial aid for MAIR, $32,000 tuition scholarship and a $13,000 stipend for a 20 hour a week assistantship. Absolutely thrilled but makes my decision a lot harder!

I'm looking for some opinions here, I've narrowed my schools down to Maxwell for MAIR, American's SIS, or U Chicago Harris for an MPP (with an international focus).  No funding.  Does anyone have any advice or suggestions? What would you do? 

I'm looking for some opinions here, I've narrowed my schools down to Maxwell for MAIR, American's SIS, or U Chicago Harris for an MPP (with an international focus).  No funding.  Does anyone have any advice or suggestions? What would you do? 

What do you want to do? How much debt are you willing to take on, and how lucrative are the careers you're looking at post-degree? Does anything in particular matter to you in terms of quality of life for the next few years?

• 2 weeks later...

Attended the admitted students visit day on Monday -  it was really nice. The campus is really lovely - it's on a hill, so all the buildings look stately. A few impressions:

a) A number of students talked about how fast the 1 year program goes, and how intense it is. It was kind of surprising to think - most of the awesome, interesting students I met are graduating before I arrive. at the end of June. I'm in the dual MA program, so I'll be around for longer, but that's some turnover. I imagine it makes for both opportunities and disadvantages.

b ) The professors are very friendly and very accessible. A whole bunch of them came to lunch with us, and were easy to talk to, and excited about teaching. Many of the students talked about how often the profs would put in extra time on weekends or evenings to help them.

c) There seem to be a lot of GA/TA positions up for grabs. Almost every student I talked to had one, and many of them got their positions outside of the formal financial aid package.

d) The capstone projects for MPA students and the internships for MAIR students seem amazing. People are working on some crazy cool projects all over the US, and around the world.

e) I really appreciated how seriously they take the public service mission - Maxwell seems to really be focusing on giving people the skills they need to make the world a better place.

Anyway - I am definitely headed to Maxwell (found an apartment on Saturday), and look forward to seeing some of you there on June 30th, or in the fall for MAIRs.

P.S. I will say -  it SNOWed on Saturday am as a little welcome for us, but the profs assured me that statistically speaking, the weather is bound to be better next year :) .

Edited by quincepessa

• 4 weeks later...