Rejections and Thinking about fit.

Hopephily

I'm fairly confident that some of the top MA programs accept applications on a rolling basis. The thing is, you are probably less likely to get funding the longer you wait to apply. Still worth looking into, though.

GSU is the only MA program where you'd have a chance at funding. NIU's funding is gonna be dried up, and Vtech and UWM are closed.

GSU is the only MA program where you'd have a chance at funding. NIU's funding is gonna be dried up, and Vtech and UWM are closed.

University of Missouri, St. Louis and San Francisco State are still accepting applicants, and have funding available also. 

I feel like my whole perspective on this process has changed in the last two weeks. I used to think I'd have an offer or two. Now I'm certain that I won't get in anywhere and will be lucky to be taken by an MA, which is strange since all that has happened was a rejection from UNC, which I have always known was inevitable. Surely that's the essence of the human experience...being a rational being tortured by irrational emotions in an irrational world.

I feel exactly the same way. 

I'm surprised you were courageous enough to state this publicly, without anonymity. Kudos to you.

Oh I'm comfortable doing so because I really don't have a problem with my department (University of Oregon). Like I said, we place nearly all of our PhDs, and I'm very impressed and inspired by my faculty and colleagues. So I don't see a need for anonymity. 

But I wanted to share my experience because it's a lot more common than one might think. It's a harsh truth about the whole process that I don't think gets enough attention among applicants. I've met students from many other programs who have similar anxieties about their choices--many of us are just so excited to get in somewhere and we don't really know what we're getting ourselves into (hindsight is 20/20, after all). It looks like many of you don't need the advice, since it seems you've all applied to good fits. 

Also--I should clarify that I'm not miserable! It's just a state of affairs that I think can be pretty easily avoided (and it should be emphasized more often). 

University of Missouri, St. Louis and San Francisco State are still accepting applicants, and have funding available also. 

Doesn't Brandeis take people a little later?  And maybe Tufts?  I think up to February 15??  A quick Google on this would answer the question.  Both of these programs offer some funding and admit at least a few people with full tuition remission.

Doesn't Brandeis take people a little later?  And maybe Tufts?  I think up to February 15??  A quick Google on this would answer the question.  Both of these programs offer some funding and admit at least a few people with full tuition remission.

I know Brandeis does. I guess I'll apply there ...

... and then be rejected.

I know Brandeis does. I guess I'll apply there ...

... and then be rejected.

You know, I happen to know some things about their process.  And it's possible to be admitted because you're interesting and have great writing.  So I highly recommend applying to Brandeis.