Fall 2014 Applicants - Canadian Universities

episkey

RE: UBC admission dates

I found this link, and I wonder if the dates apply to us...

https://www.grad.ubc.ca/faculty-staff/program-admission-recommendation-deadlines

Awesome, thanks! I talked to the Queen's grad chair today (felt nice to be aggressively courted ;) ) and he said that Queen's was ahead of almost all other schools, and that the changed system for SSHRC this year is doing a little bit to bog the system down at most schools.

In other news, I talked to Jason Wu and sorted out the issue w/ the app portal. 

Thanks. I will do that. I know that Mr. Wu (the grad coordinator) has to manually go in and change things on that portal, so I'm assuming it's just out of date. But I will send an email tomorrow. 

MA, regular. I'm an undergrad there right now, and by and large nobody has heard back (except, apparently, a 5th year student who claims to have been accepted a single day after submitting his app - informal, maybe)

As well, for those who are here reading and interested, I heard a rumour that Wester re-opened their apps, presumable as a result of low applications. Not 100% on that, though. 

Thanks for the info, I hope the same holds true for the Public History program. I applied there, although I don't think my chances are that great as I don't have any professional experience in that area.

Awesome, thanks! I talked to the Queen's grad chair today (felt nice to be aggressively courted ;) ) and he said that Queen's was ahead of almost all other schools, and that the changed system for SSHRC this year is doing a little bit to bog the system down at most schools.

In other news, I talked to Jason Wu and sorted out the issue w/ the app portal. 

I'm new to the conversation, but did Jason Wu happen to give any hint as to when they'd be notifying applicants? I don't want to have to send the, "I need to know by X date" email if I don't have to!

I'm new to the conversation, but did Jason Wu happen to give any hint as to when they'd be notifying applicants? I don't want to have to send the, "I need to know by X date" email if I don't have to!

Nope - all he said was that the applications were currently under review. I'm in the same boat as you, I'm anxiously awaiting UBC's decision.

Nope - all he said was that the applications were currently under review. I'm in the same boat as you, I'm anxiously awaiting UBC's decision.

Thanks. I hope they hurry up! ;) I have a good offer from McGill, but need to hear back from the others before making a decision. If I haven't heard by next week, I'll have to contact them.

Does anyone know what's going on with Western? As far as I know it's been radio silence… I've been accepted to UofT (and am 99.9% sure I will be accepting as it's always been my top choice) but I'm hesitant to formally accept until I know. There's a deadline at UofT that's fast approaching so I'm half tempted to just email them but I thought I'd ask first.

Does anyone know what's going on with Western? As far as I know it's been radio silence… I've been accepted to UofT (and am 99.9% sure I will be accepting as it's always been my top choice) but I'm hesitant to formally accept until I know. There's a deadline at UofT that's fast approaching so I'm half tempted to just email them but I thought I'd ask first.

If you e-mail them, let us know. Also waiting on Western, and have to respond to another offer in just over a week. Sigh.

Just thought I would let you all know that I was in contact with the Graduate Chair at UBC last night as my acceptance date for McGill is fast-approaching and I could not wait any longer. He informed me that the committee met to confirm the final list of acceptances on Monday night. As such, notices should be going out very soon. Good luck everyone!

Also, although I was not accepted to UBC, the GC gave me a very detailed and complimentary response. Essentially he explained that they all wanted to work with me, but those who could supervise a project like mine were maxed out and not taking new students. The fit was just not there for the 2014 school year. I tell you this because if you are blanket rejected and want to know why, they may be offer feedback if you contact them. 

Actually i m applyin fr masters structural engg. in UBC. bt one of my friends in US told me tht CANADA and its univ are technologically nt tht advance .  :unsure: he told me to go fr US. I dnt knw whethr to apply or not. sum1 pls clarify!! :)

If you e-mail them, let us know. Also waiting on Western, and have to respond to another offer in just over a week. Sigh.

I emailed them and the graduate chair let me know that they are meeting tomorrow to discuss applications. He also said that since I emailed, he could rush my application and let me know by 3:30 tomorrow if I was in or not. It might be worth it to you to get in touch! 

Also, there was a UWO acceptance posted yesterday but I literally just spoke to the grad chair who said they haven't even met… Weird.

I emailed them and the graduate chair let me know that they are meeting tomorrow to discuss applications. He also said that since I emailed, he could rush my application and let me know by 3:30 tomorrow if I was in or not. It might be worth it to you to get in touch! 

Also, there was a UWO acceptance posted yesterday but I literally just spoke to the grad chair who said they haven't even met… Weird.

Thank you!! I will definitely do that! Good luck :)

Anyone aware of UBC's MA decision dates? 

It was my other top choice along with McGill (which I have been accepted to, but have been otherwise unimpressed with their offerings, w/r/t courses being offered next year and funding possibilities), and would like to hear back from them soon. 

Anyone aware of UBC's MA decision dates? 

It was my other top choice along with McGill (which I have been accepted to, but have been otherwise unimpressed with their offerings, w/r/t courses being offered next year and funding possibilities), and would like to hear back from them soon. 

I am not sure if UBC decided PhD and MA decisions at the same time or not, but I would assume they would. If so, they decided on Monday, and will be sending out notifications in the coming weeks. If you have a looming deadline for McGill like I do (March 17), then I recommend emailing the Graduate Chair. He responded to me within a couple hours with a decision. Good luck!

I am not sure if UBC decided PhD and MA decisions at the same time or not, but I would assume they would. If so, they decided on Monday, and will be sending out notifications in the coming weeks. If you have a looming deadline for McGill like I do (March 17), then I recommend emailing the Graduate Chair. He responded to me within a couple hours with a decision. Good luck!

Thanks! I've been back and forth with the GC previously, last time I talked to him (about a week and a half ago) they were still under review. I don't want to burden him with useless emails that only serve to calm (or not) my nerves. 

E-mailed the graduate chair at Western and he responded this morning with an acceptance! :) The offer will be going out today electronically and by mail.

Congrats! I'll be keeping my eye on the emails - I got a sort of lukewarm indication of informal acceptance, but confirmation would be great. 

What area/prof are you hoping to work with? 

Congrats! I'll be keeping my eye on the emails - I got a sort of lukewarm indication of informal acceptance, but confirmation would be great. 

What area/prof are you hoping to work with? 

Thank you! Good luck to you :) My status on Student Centre has changed to 'offered admission' but no e-mail yet, so maybe check there.

I applied to work with Dr. Priestman (WWII/Holocaust), but as I haven't yet received a letter I'm not sure if I'll be working with her or my second or third choice.

Thank you! Good luck to you :) My status on Student Centre has changed to 'offered admission' but no e-mail yet, so maybe check there.

I applied to work with Dr. Priestman (WWII/Holocaust), but as I haven't yet received a letter I'm not sure if I'll be working with her or my second or third choice.

are you PhD?