Fall 2014 Applicants - Canadian Universities

episkey

Actually i m applyin fr masters structural engg. in UBC. bt one of my friends in US told me tht CANADA and its univ are technologically nt tht advance .  :unsure: he told me to go fr US. I dnt knw whethr to apply or not. sum1 pls clarify!! :)

Your friends statement is not true, Canada does not lack technological advancement. However, that being said, some of the best structural engineering programs are in the UK and Japan. It matters firstly what you are looking to get out of the program (your career ambitions). And be careful when reading articles that list the "top schools" they can be misleading. You should contact alumni, search for publications and review professional journals, this will help you decide which school to attend.

Just got a rejection letter from UBC - would have been my top choice (if I was able to pay), but they only admit 15 PhD and MA students total, out of over 100 applications. So I'm not too broken up haha. 

In the words of my father: "think of all the money I'll save."

Just got a rejection letter from UBC - would have been my top choice (if I was able to pay), but they only admit 15 PhD and MA students total, out of over 100 applications. So I'm not too broken up haha. 

In the words of my father: "think of all the money I'll save."

So UBC's results are out? 15 grad students in total? ... I could not believe it! I always thought UBC recruit more students since the department is pretty big. Please tell me, did you get your rejection letter when you asked anybody from the department? Or you simply got an email from them? I am dieing to know!

So UBC's results are out? 15 grad students in total? ... I could not believe it! I always thought UBC recruit more students since the department is pretty big. Please tell me, did you get your rejection letter when you asked anybody from the department? Or you simply got an email from them? I am dieing to know!

They appear to be out. 

I got an email from them with a pretty boilerplate rejection. They also said that a letter should be coming in the post. 

It is, I agree, a little shocking that they only accept 15 applicants every year. But hey, that's their thing I guess. 

They appear to be out. 

I got an email from them with a pretty boilerplate rejection. They also said that a letter should be coming in the post. 

It is, I agree, a little shocking that they only accept 15 applicants every year. But hey, that's their thing I guess. 

Thanks for the info. I think I will be checking my email ten times a day now...

Hey guys. I just found this thread today! And I'm new to gradcafe actually... First congrats to everyone who have had offers and fingers crossed for all!

I've been accepted by MAAPPS in UBC in Feb and there's 3200$ fundings for international studs. My supervisor will be Timothy Cheek, and others told me he is excellent to work with. I'm still waiting for U of T's department of East Asian Studies because my boyfriend is in Waterloo and UT would be closer than Vancouver...

When will UT make final decisions about MA? I feel exhausted waiting for UT while holding a quite attractive offer from UBC...

Hey guys. I just found this thread today! And I'm new to gradcafe actually... First congrats to everyone who have had offers and fingers crossed for all!

I've been accepted by MAAPPS in UBC in Feb and there's 3200$ fundings for international studs. My supervisor will be Timothy Cheek, and others told me he is excellent to work with. I'm still waiting for U of T's department of East Asian Studies because my boyfriend is in Waterloo and UT would be closer than Vancouver...

When will UT make final decisions about MA? I feel exhausted waiting for UT while holding a quite attractive offer from UBC...

International Studs, eh? Certainly something I should be funded for...

I've seen a few UofT acceptances go out, but mine is still "Under Review". A facebook friend posted her acceptance there on Thursday. Not my top choice as they don't fund MA, but still awaiting the decision. 

I've seen a few UofT acceptances go out, but mine is still "Under Review". A facebook friend posted her acceptance there on Thursday. Not my top choice as they don't fund MA, but still awaiting the decision.

What happened just now???

UBC seems to have fundings for all international students who have no external fundings. And it does not need to apply. Studs will be considered automatically I think.

My UT is still 'Under Review' for almost 3 months. Desperate...

Edited by CeciliaZ1909

What happened just now???

UBC seems to have fundings for all international students who have no external fundings. And it does not need to apply. Studs will be considered automatically I think.

My UT is still 'Under Review' for almost 3 months. Desperate...

Sorry, I realize English may not be your first language. I was making a joke - "stud" is also a term for a sexy male (like myself). Now that I've had to explain it, i think its fair to say it's pretty much a corpse at this point. 

Sorry, I realize English may not be your first language. I was making a joke - "stud" is also a term for a sexy male (like myself). Now that I've had to explain it, i think its fair to say it's pretty much a corpse at this point.

Eh... Yes I'm Chinese... And I'm embarrassed... But I got it now!!! LOL