Florida Schools

quote name="gator8" post="1058123206" timestamp="1395864374"]Thanks for the reply! I am leaning towards the second bachelor's also since like you said, it's the same amount of time and money. I have a pretty good gpa from my undergrad so I think I'll be okay in that area but hopefully a 2nd bachelor's looks better to a school regardless.

I've heard from UF Faculty that a 2nd Bachelors does not give you a competitive edge at all over other applicants. If you want to go to UF, I personally think it would be more beneficial to get to know their faculty by taking some of their classes.

Hi, UF does offer all of the pre-reqs required for Masters admission. The extra courses in USF's program are just your clinical observations, which you can do on your own terms. The coursework is the same whether in a 2nd Bachelors or not. One is not more challenging than the other.

It just gets a little tricky with school-specific pre reqs. For example, UCF requires pre reqs that HAVE to be taken at their school only UNLESS you are not out of field and already have a bachelor's in CSD. But it might make more sense for me to stick with UF since I believe that is my first choice school, and then apply to UCF and take their extra pre reqs when the time came if I had to go that route. 

Oh I didn't know that! I am graduating undergrad from UF in May so I would at least have that helping me out, but that's good to know that they don't view a 2nd bachelor's as more competitive.

Yea, if you want to see that in writing, it's also listed under their FAQ here: http://slhs.phhp.ufl.edu/academics/dl/ug/frequently-asked-questions/

"There are no advantages to earning a second bachelor’s degree (60 hours) over completing the prerequisites for graduate admission (27 hours). If you are interested in becoming a Speech Language Pathologist or Audiologist, you must earn an advanced degree to practice. Completing a second bachelor’s degree (and the additional elective courses that go with it) prior to application to graduate school will take twice as long and double your cost without offering you a competitive advantage for admission to graduate school. The following items are weighted heavily by the UF admissions committee when making their admission decisions: GRE score; grades in prerequisite courses; volunteer activities in the field; and letters of recommendation from professors in the prerequisite courses."

Of course that is just UF, and every uni views it differently.

It just gets a little tricky with school-specific pre reqs. For example, UCF requires pre reqs that HAVE to be taken at their school only UNLESS you are not out of field and already have a bachelor's in CSD. But it might make more sense for me to stick with UF since I believe that is my first choice school, and then apply to UCF and take their extra pre reqs when the time came if I had to go that route.

Where do you have that information? I believe you, but I don't see what you see. So do they just have more pre-reqs (I see they have labs), or will they not accept any of the courses from other universities?

Where do you have that information? I believe you, but I don't see what you see. So do they just have more pre-reqs (I see they have labs), or will they not accept any of the courses from other universities?

Wow, I found it now. Ouch, that is brutal. Maybe someone who's taken courses through UF who gets admitted to UCF will be able to share their experiences. I think UCF is unique in this regard, though. It seems most programs don't care where you completed the pre-reqs.

I'm a native Floridian who went to UCF for undergrad and I've also visited both UF and FSU. Any of you can email me if you want to talk at length about advantages vs. disadvantages of living in Gainesville, Tampa (USF), Orlando, and Tallahassee. Maestra.rae@gmail.com

Congratulations on your funding!! That's great that your hard work throughout undergrad paid off and that your GRE scores didn't preclude you from funding! That's awesome!

Wow, I found it now. Ouch, that is brutal. Maybe someone who's taken courses through UF who gets admitted to UCF will be able to share their experiences. I think UCF is unique in this regard, though. It seems most programs don't care where you completed the pre-reqs.

yea i also found out by emailing the advisors there. They said you must complete SPA 3123L and SPA 4326 at UCF

Yea, I personally think that is best. For one, you will have 1 transcript with all of your coursework. The cost of transcripts alone will double which is something to think about when it comes time to apply to schools. It's best not to put your eggs all in one basket. I myself have 6 different transcripts, a course here a course there. That'll be roughly $600 in transcripts applying to 10 schools. This process is ridiculous. They verify everything online anyway, so I don't get why they need hard copies.

Did they make any other comment as to whether other pre-reqs would be accepted?

yes, I named the FSU and UF bridge programs specifically because I emailed before I knew about USF's program. They said people have done those before and they accept them except for the extra classes specific to UCF that I named before. But it's so hard to get a definitive answer, I feel like I don't have all the facts :/

• 3 weeks later...

I was accepted off the waitlist to USF! So excited. To the pp who was asking (since we are in similar situations), I think the poor area of my app was experience/volunteer so maybe work on that (unlike me) while doing your 2nd bachelors.

I was accepted off the waitlist to USF! So excited. To the pp who was asking (since we are in similar situations), I think the poor area of my app was experience/volunteer so maybe work on that (unlike me) while doing your 2nd bachelors.

congrats!!! im starting my second bachelors there this summer. I hope to get into the grad program there after. Ive heard alot of great things about it. Good luck! Do you mind if I ask you your stats? I know its very competitive. 

congrats!!! im starting my second bachelors there this summer. I hope to get into the grad program there after. Ive heard alot of great things about it. Good luck! Do you mind if I ask you your stats? I know its very competitive. 

If i'm remembering correctly, like you, i had a poor GPA in my first bachelor's (psychology)

My GPA for my second bachelor's was a 3.75, GRE:  V-159, Q-154, W-6

If i'm remembering correctly, like you, i had a poor GPA in my first bachelor's (psychology)

My GPA for my second bachelor's was a 3.75, GRE:  V-159, Q-154, W-6

You gave me hope! thanks! you did so well on your GRE's! I need to retake mine as i scored low on the verbal portion. How did you study for them if you don't mind me asking?

• 2 weeks later...

For those who want to go to USF, I went to their Open House for admitted students and Ruth Bahr said they accepted everyone who surpassed the minimum requirements: 150 V, 145 Q, 4 Writing. Also over a 3.6 GPA. They accepted about 90 people and waitlisted all of those who met the minimums.

For those who want to go to USF, I went to their Open House for admitted students and Ruth Bahr said they accepted everyone who surpassed the minimum requirements: 150 V, 145 Q, 4 Writing. Also over a 3.6 GPA. They accepted about 90 people and waitlisted all of those who met the minimums.

this is good news! 

• 4 weeks later...

which of the florida schools is less competitive in the Spring?

From what I know, UCF and Nova are the only two in FL that have spring admissions. I would say Nova would be less competitive out of the two, but you never know.