Advice on MS for Math, CS, or Statistics (or advice in general for my life)

hapyr0

Hi,

I'm currently a senior at a pretty well known school studying applied math with an economics concentration. I have roughly a 3.1 GPA (I know, horrible), but I transferred in with a 3.95 GPA, which should leave me somewhere around the 3.4-3.5 range. I haven't taken my GRE's because I want to work for a year so I can gain experience with computer science/data analytics and then apply for my masters degree at one of the following places: UCLA, USC, Cal Poly SLO, UCI, and of course, Stanford and Berkeley. The problem is, I know with my crap GPA, I probably won't get into a masters program for applied math, cs, or statistics.

I wanted to know if you guys had any advice for what I should do to help make myself more competitive to get into one of these top tier programs. I've been reading the forums for a while, and I've noticed that some of you mention post-bac programs. Do you think that's applicable to me? If so, which ones do you think I should be striving for? Do you have any advice for me, or am I doomed? 

Also, I'm sorry for the abruptness, I've been having panic attacks about this stuff for the past month, and I finally gained enough sense/courage to post here.

Thanks,

hapyr0

Edited by hapyr0

You might not be able to get into any top tier MS programs, but I think you could probably get into *some* MS program. Is it possible for you to take some graduate-level or more upper division courses in one of those fields and ace them? You could even take some as a non-degree student after you graduate. You could get some good LORs that way and that would make you more competitive for MS admissions.

That is what I did. In my case though, my undergrad degree was not even in math, so I took some upper division and grad level courses in mathematics as a non-degree student and then applied to MS programs in Applied Math. I was successful in getting in because of my performance in these classes.

I definitely second Stat Applicant- the situation is that you don't have concrete proof that you can succeed in high level math cs or statistics classes- you need to get some concrete evidence and what better way than to take a hard one(s) and crush it- but remember you've got to put in the work and get the grade- I did something very similar in a similar situation and I'm very glad that I did it- it just takes a large time commitment to study that hard

• 3 weeks later...

I graduate this May and I'm moving back home. My parents want me to find work but I'm sure I may be able to moonlight classes at my local university. 

Thanks for the advice guys.

I really appreciate it.