Asking about rotations

brainmatters

Hello gradcafe community,

I just joined and thought I would start it off with a new topic.

I just received offers from two neuroscience graduate schools.  In my interviews I asked a few professors about rotations.  Some mentioned they were taking students while others were not.  Is now a good time to email professors and ask about rotations?  I want to see which professors are available from both schools before I make a decision.

One concern of mine is that I will tell a professor that I want to rotate in his/her lab, decide on the other school, and then have to send an email saying I changed my mind.  I'm guessing this happens a lot so I shouldn't be too worried.

Hello gradcafe community,

I just joined and thought I would start it off with a new topic.

I just received offers from two neuroscience graduate schools.  In my interviews I asked a few professors about rotations.  Some mentioned they were taking students while others were not.  Is now a good time to email professors and ask about rotations?  I want to see which professors are available from both schools before I make a decision.

One concern of mine is that I will tell a professor that I want to rotate in his/her lab, decide on the other school, and then have to send an email saying I changed my mind.  I'm guessing this happens a lot so I shouldn't be too worried.

I would not do anything about rotations until you have finalized your school. My school sent me information in May to select rotations professors for school that started on the 1st day of August. You have time.

Also, make sure you're not too set on joining a specific PI or a few specific PIs. I just ended up joining a lab of a guy who is brand-new, but I can tell it is going to go well. This guy has got it figured out!

Edited by biotechie

Just be upfront. Say you are trying to decide what school to go to, and you want to make sure that enough of your POIs are taking rotation students. Don't try to actually set anything up, don't give them the impression you've already decided to attend, just check to make sure there is space in their lab.

Yes I think you should ask whether working with them would be a possibility. At every school I'm applying to there is a single professor who I want to work with(I know exactly what I want to study and won't consider anything else) . If that professor is t taking students then I won't even apply to those programs. I think basing your decision on who can take students makes perfect sense and if anything, proves your passion for research.

Edited by bsharpe269

Yes I think you should ask whether working with them would be a possibility. At every school I'm applying to there is a single professor who I want to work with(I know exactly what I want to study and won't consider anything else) . If that professor is t taking students then I won't even apply to those programs. I think basing your decision on who can take students makes perfect sense and if anything, proves your passion for research.

Exactly. And I really don't think there is anything unreasonable about checking availability - you aren't asking them to make an actual commitment to letting you rotate before you've made a commiment to attend the school, you just want to know if they have space for new students.

As far as the follow-up email goes, I do think it would be polite to send them a quick note if you decide not to attend their school. Something along the lines of "I really enjoyed our conversations about (research topic), but unfortunately I've decided that (other program) is a better fit. I hope to see you in the future at (big conference everyone in your field attends)." These people will be your future colleagues, so take the time to make a good impression even as you turn them down.