Where to go? Fine Art ... Theatre MFA issues

kstinger

I've been accepted to three programs and I don't know where to go. My husband is also going back to school so we are trying to figure out how to handle this. Any input would be helpful. We both got into schools that would allow us to be near one another but I'm really leaning towards PAFA in Philly while my husband is leaning towards Smith in Northampton, MA. That would set us far apart. Anyone have anything to say about any of these programs? First hand knowledge would be great.

Me--MFA program in painting

PAFA-Philadelphia

MassArt-summer low residency

SFAI-summer low residency

UMass -- waitlisted (Amherst)

Husband--MFA program in Theatre

Smith--Northampton, MA

Temple- Philadelphia

I've been accepted to three programs and I don't know where to go. My husband is also going back to school so we are trying to figure out how to handle this. Any input would be helpful. We both got into schools that would allow us to be near one another but I'm really leaning towards PAFA in Philly while my husband is leaning towards Smith in Northampton, MA. That would set us far apart. Anyone have anything to say about any of these programs? First hand knowledge would be great.

Me--MFA program in painting

PAFA-Philadelphia

MassArt-summer low residency

SFAI-summer low residency

UMass -- waitlisted (Amherst)

Husband--MFA program in Theatre

Smith--Northampton, MA

Temple- Philadelphia

Something to consider would be the fact that travel between Boston/ MA and Philadelphia is deceptively difficult. There are no cheap flights, for some reason. The trains are expensive, (At least $160 round trip, sometimes up to $320) and the busses are cheap but nightmarishly slow. Driving would take a while, but might actually be the best option, if you wound up visiting him there.

I really love MassArt and am trying to decide between them and another program. I don't know a lot about their low-res program, but I think they offer an education that is up to par with far, far more expensive programs.

And I'm also from Philadelphia... but I am hesitant to say anything about PAFA re: painting, as that is not my discipline. In general, PAFA has a less impressive reputation than other art schools in Philadelphia. Again, I am not a painter and really can't speak for the strength of their painting department. If you love it, you must have good reason to.

It depends on what you want... Are you more excited by a traditional MFA program, or by the flexibility of your low-residency options?

I like the PAFA program because they have classes that you take for the requirement and then, you can sit in on any class you want as long as its ok with the professor at no extra cost. I think the low res program is a great opportunity but low res = no daily interaction with students and professors.