Critic My Work!

JoJoYang

Hi Guys!

This is my first post, I know everyone's got their MFA applications out and are waiting to hear back from Grad schools, but while we are all waiting, mind telling me what you think of my work? I'm not the greatest out there, so I could do with some suggestions to make my portfolio better. To Start it off, I know I don't have that many work, so I am currently working on putting more up there. 

Thanks! have a good one! 

www.joannayang.com

Edited by JoJoYang

Hi Guys!

This is my first post, I know everyone's got their MFA applications out and are waiting to hear back from Grad schools, but while we are all waiting, mind telling me what you think of my work? I'm not the greatest out there, so I could do with some suggestions to make my portfolio better. To Start it off, I know I don't have that many work, so I am currently working on putting more up there. 

Thanks! have a good one! 

www.joannayang.com

Hi Joanna

Some nice work in there – what sort of MFA have you applied for?

Your portfolio is very clearly laid out, it's easy to find everything and the amount of content isn't overwhelming, which is a good thing. A tiny thing might be (and this is only my personal opinion) that the blue circular previews of the work aren't as compelling as the actual work is. They look nice as a whole, from a layout perspective, but if the idea is to draw you in, they could be creating a slight visual barrier.

As my main interest at the moment is in printmaking, I loved your printmaking / illustration portfolio. Really fun and well executed. The design section too had some beautiful, clean typography and visually compelling layouts.

Re the photography section, the shots are really well executed – but wedding photography is such a particular genre that I'd worry about having mainly wedding photography unless that is what you are wanting to go into. Anyway, it's hard to advise without knowing what you are aiming for. If it's a photography MA, then you might need to rethink this section to be a little broader / experimental. But if not then ignore me as you are clearly communicating the ability to get a good shot!

My background: My BA was in design, majoring in photography. I have over 10 years' experience working as a UI designer (mainly in rich media / television). My current artistic practice is mainly in Media & Printmaking, and that is the area I'd hope to get into for an MA / MFA.

Hi Joanna

Some nice work in there – what sort of MFA have you applied for?

Your portfolio is very clearly laid out, it's easy to find everything and the amount of content isn't overwhelming, which is a good thing. A tiny thing might be (and this is only my personal opinion) that the blue circular previews of the work aren't as compelling as the actual work is. They look nice as a whole, from a layout perspective, but if the idea is to draw you in, they could be creating a slight visual barrier.

As my main interest at the moment is in printmaking, I loved your printmaking / illustration portfolio. Really fun and well executed. The design section too had some beautiful, clean typography and visually compelling layouts.

Re the photography section, the shots are really well executed – but wedding photography is such a particular genre that I'd worry about having mainly wedding photography unless that is what you are wanting to go into. Anyway, it's hard to advise without knowing what you are aiming for. If it's a photography MA, then you might need to rethink this section to be a little broader / experimental. But if not then ignore me as you are clearly communicating the ability to get a good shot!

My background: My BA was in design, majoring in photography. I have over 10 years' experience working as a UI designer (mainly in rich media / television). My current artistic practice is mainly in Media & Printmaking, and that is the area I'd hope to get into for an MA / MFA.

Klp, Thank you for your feed back! I will definetly take into account what you are saying about the blue circles.

I'm applying for MFA design/visual communication programs, and what you said about the photographs are very good, I was a bit hesitant about putting them on in the first place.

Again, thanks for your feed back, anything helps!

Good luck with your applications!