Question about "pending" applications

luluchan

Hi,

New to this, so sorry if this question has already been asked and answered but...Today, I decided to contact a school to find out the status of my final floating application. I received an email explaining that, as expected, offers have long been sent out. The secretary (someone always really polite and efficient in her responses) replied:

"Offers of admission have gone out. Those applicants don't have to accept or

decline our offer until April 15th if they choose to wait. We also have a

wait list. Your application is in the 3rd "tier" which is "pending". I can't

give you a definite answer at this time..."

She went on to say that if I had any other offers, then it'd be best to consider them seriously. What does this mean? That I'm not officially rejected just yet? They're just getting to it? Or that they don't bother to send out rejection notices? I

Most likely, what she means is that they don't usually accept people from the third tier. She's trying to dissuade you from waiting for the school's official response if you have other offers, since some people will really risk their chance to go somewhere else to get into their dream school. It sounds like this doesn't really apply to you since you are happy with the other schools you got into. As far as not hearing from them, schools have varying degrees of communication, and some do not initiate communication at all until they have made a decision. All the same, good luck with everything!

Thanks for the thoughtful and helpful response! I suspected this was the case. I'm still an undergrad and this is my first time applying to anything, so I thought I was just unfamiliar with common admissions speak/terminology ("third tier, pending"). But I talked to a prof today and he said this isn't the case. I see that you're going to UC Davis. Congrats! That was my dream school. Enjoy the sun for me! :)