Questions to ask the potential supervisor

I'm having a phone conversation with my likely supervisor today (Political Science PhD). I've received a teaching assistantship as well as a research assistantship, so I'm trying to ask him the type of questions I should ask him when speaking to him today. So far I've got 3 ready, but I think I'll need some more.

1.) What is the specific nature of the research you will be doing over the summer on which I'll be assisting you?

2.) What lit. should I read up on to be able to better assist you with this research?

3.) How will the teaching assistant positions be allocated?

Maybe talk about your own research and what you would like to be doing. Get a sense of how he deals with graduate students on deadlines, updates, meetings, etc. Get a sense of what he'll be expecting from you and what you are expecting from him.

Maybe talk about your own research and what you would like to be doing. Get a sense of how he deals with graduate students on deadlines, updates, meetings, etc. Get a sense of what he'll be expecting from you and what you are expecting from him.

Hm, we've done most of that in the first conversation that we had, before I was accepted. I basically let him do most of the talking as I wasn't completely sure what to ask him. That's why this time around I'm getting some help, but I think the second part definitely applies with regards to the research assistantship.

I hope your conversation went well. Quick question, you commented on another thread that you were interested in constructivist IR and decided to go to Alberta. I'm going into my M.A and later PhD, but Alberta never appeared to me as a critical department, who are you working with? Did you do your undergrad in Canada? I'd be interested to know as I'll be applying for my PhD next year and want to make sure I go to the best department. The place I'm doing my M.A seemed as one of the best anyways, but I would like to keep other options open.

Thanks!