Question about applying to Phd program from same school's MA program.

logos0516

Ok, I'm at  right now studying for their Master's in philosphy, and I really want to continue in their Phd program. I have a good writing sample, and I have three recommendations, all from faculty in the department. I've spoken to a couple of faculty who aren't on the admissions committee, and they said Master's applications from get no special consideration, and that my application "goes in the pile" along with all the others. How much of this is accurate, and how much of it is them just keeping the lid on to protect themselves in case I do get rejected? I mean, if I'm doing fairly well in the program, have mostly As in my courses, have a solid writing sample, and have recommendations from professors in the department, doesn't that count a little more? Won't they be more inclined to accept my application? 

Many programs value diversity of ideas; They don't want the same people in their programs over and over. Adding new blood into the mix is a great way of adding new ideas to a departments research.

It could be fairly accurate, but to say you dont have an advantage would be a stretch. 

I think if they say your application goes back in the pile that is exactly what they do.  I don't know why they would need to "protect themselves" in case you didn't get in.  They have every right to make the decision as they see fit and you aren't promised anything just because you are an MA student there or that you asked them if you get any special consideration.  Many times they don't take students from masters into phd in the same program at the same school because as geodude says they like to have a bit more diversity of ideas.  It can go either way more inclined or in fact less inclined.  there is no way to tell but I'd take what they say as what they mean. 

I know I'm not promised anything, and yes, they evaluate my application along with all the others, but c'mon, it's gotta mean *something* when the professors right down the hall from you are recommending that I get in. And it's gotta mean something that my GPA is better perhaps a majority of the students there. Plus, I'm already done with 2/3 of the course requirements for the Phd anyway. The fact that I'm doing well in the very same program to which I'm applying must mean a little something.

Here is your answer: There is no doubt that your application will recieve special attention. They all know you. They will talk about you on a first name basis. Either they think that they can't afford to lose you, or they'd rather have new blood from someone from a different dept. You have no idea what they will do. The only thing you can be very sure of is that your application will not be overlooked.

Here is your answer: There is no doubt that your application will recieve special attention. They all know you. They will talk about you on a first name basis. Either they think that they can't afford to lose you, or they'd rather have new blood from someone from a different dept. You have no idea what they will do. The only thing you can be very sure of is that your application will not be overlooked.

Well, I think if they know me and will talk about me on a first name basis, then likely (hopefully) they'll accept me. I mean, seriously, I did darn good work in the department, and I have a darn good writing sample, and letters of recommendation from faculty in that very same department. It's kinda hard to reject someone when the people down the hall are saying "let him in." But alas, we can't know for sure. Also I would imagine much depends on how many of the other four Master's students in my class are applying to. I know one isn't, but I don't know about the other three. So yeah, it's impossible to know without badgering the admissions people, and that is NOT something I want to do. It could hurt my chances. 

Well, I think if they know me and will talk about me on a first name basis, then likely (hopefully) they'll accept me. I mean, seriously, I did darn good work in the department, and I have a darn good writing sample, and letters of recommendation from faculty in that very same department. It's kinda hard to reject someone when the people down the hall are saying "let him in." But alas, we can't know for sure. Also I would imagine much depends on how many of the other four Master's students in my class are applying to. I know one isn't, but I don't know about the other three. So yeah, it's impossible to know without badgering the admissions people, and that is NOT something I want to do. It could hurt my chances. 

You may well be a qualified applicant, but the fact is that you aren't taking seriously enough the fact that they want new thinkers. Plenty of people don't get accepted to their home departments even with 3-4 letters from that department. Don't think that means you get in. They have also had tons of time to evaluate your flaws (we all have them).

Anyway, there's nothing you can do. Stop worrying about it. You'll either get accepted to or you won't. I'll either get accepted to or I won't. We both hope we do, but again, there is no point in trying to play detective and figure out the possible decision making processes when we will find out in about 10 days regardless.

Edited by Eigen

So what's the point of your posts? Many people here "did darn good work in the department, and have a darn good writing sample, and letters of recommendation from faculty in that very same department (or other good departments). It's kinda hard to reject someone when the people down the hall (or other well-regarded academics they see at conferences) are saying "let him in."  

Many people here have incredibly good credentials and yet they will be denied admission to Grad School. We are all nervous about the application season, but I don't see how showing off your credentials to us will help you get into the program of your preference. You obviously already made a decision on how to organize your applications. You're not so much asking for advice, as trying to find validation of your previous decisions (and getting mad when people don't agree with you). Nothing of what is said here will change your chances of getting in; that is up to the adcomms. So i suggest you to find other ways to vent your stress. Best of luck in your applications. 

You may well be a qualified applicant, but the fact is that you aren't taking seriously enough the fact that they want new thinkers. Plenty of people don't get accepted to their home departments even with 3-4 letters from that department. Don't think that means you get in. They have also had tons of time to evaluate your flaws (we all have them).

Anyway, there's nothing you can do. Stop worrying about it. You'll either get accepted to CUNY or you won't. I'll either get accepted to CUNY or I won't. We both hope we do, but again, there is no point in trying to play detective and figure out the possible decision making processes when we will find out in about 10 days regardless.

That would be funny if we both ended up in the same department next September.