Need more info on University of Wisconsin Madison, University of Texas Austin

JoJoYang

Does anyone knows anything about the MFA graphics program at University of Wisconsin Madison?

I know they are # 2 for printmaking, and something like # 18 for fine arts in general (Ranking isn't everything, I know) But does anyone have any experience or heard any thing about their graphic design program? 

Also on University of Texas in Austin, does anyone have anything on them? I'm not so familiar with their design program, it seems like they incoporate alot more than just graphics.

I've trying to reach out to some of their grad students, or simply trying to find more on their website, but with no luck. 

Since this is my terminal degree, I really want to make the right decision.  I need help! Thanks!

JoJoYang,

I think that most information about programs should be researched in depth before you apply and involve a visit to the campus if at all possible. If you are not sure if about accepting an offer to attend a school then you should do all you can to attempt a visit before doing so or send an email with your questions to the graduate advisor. 

Hey JoJoYang, I visited U of Wis-Mad last year for their Ceramics program, but got a tour of the whole art dept. As I recall, they have a floor of the fine arts building devoted to both design and printmaking. The woman who gave me the tour (she worked in the art offices) was really unfamiliar with the design MFA program when I asked, though (I got my BFA in graphic design so I was curious). It makes me wonder about the quality of their program, if the folks in the office know nothing about it apart from the fact it exists.

I don't mean to bash the university; I really liked it when I visited and enjoyed the laid-back midwest atmosphere. It's also a really nice size, very easy to get from point A to point B quickly (even though the streets and parking are convoluted and confusing). It's just that as I remember it, it was mostly big on painting (rows and rows of private grad student studios!) and not so much on the other visual arts. Sorry if I wasn't terribly helpful.

Hey JoJoYang, I visited U of Wis-Mad last year for their Ceramics program, but got a tour of the whole art dept. As I recall, they have a floor of the fine arts building devoted to both design and printmaking. The woman who gave me the tour (she worked in the art offices) was really unfamiliar with the design MFA program when I asked, though (I got my BFA in graphic design so I was curious). It makes me wonder about the quality of their program, if the folks in the office know nothing about it apart from the fact it exists.

I don't mean to bash the university; I really liked it when I visited and enjoyed the laid-back midwest atmosphere. It's also a really nice size, very easy to get from point A to point B quickly (even though the streets and parking are convoluted and confusing). It's just that as I remember it, it was mostly big on painting (rows and rows of private grad student studios!) and not so much on the other visual arts. Sorry if I wasn't terribly helpful.

Thank you, that is the kind of things I would like to know, people's experiences in visiting the place. Thank you very much for your opinion, I definetly will plan a trip to visit myself!

Jojoyang, I was accepted into the UW-Madison Printmaking MFA program and am planning a visit in March. You should email the graduate coordinator to talk about program specifics. She's been very responsive.

Thanks! I will e-mail her today!

• 3 weeks later...

I got into Wisconsin last year for ceramics. I wasn't able to visit the school but was in contact with some of the professors and a former student. The art department as a whole seems great and I liked the way it was structured, but funding for grads has been majorly cut for next year. It's pretty typical for first year grads not to receive funding, which is why I didn't attend as they offered me a $7500 scholarship for the whole year. That's like, what... 1 graduate credit? I didn't want to add to my loan debt by paying for out of state graduate rates when so many other schools offer tuition remission. The whole process of applying for TA's and such took a long time and I didn't officially know I wasn't attending until halfway through June. It was not a fun situation to be in since I turned down another school that offered me full funding and didn't take it because Wisconsin is a better school. It worked out in the end and I'm glad I didn't attend, but the entire process was overly annoying. Hope that helps some :)