Anyone knows the main diff between Development Economics and International Econ?

lexi42

Hello,

I will be doing a MA or Msc in development/ International economics in the U.K. this coming September. I've already gotten a few offers but I am wondering which Master will be the most marketable.

Hopefully I will land a job in an international organizations such as the World Bank, IMF, UN etc...basically be working in development. 
However I also wouldn't mind working in a different area, like for institutions that don't necessarily specialize in development. That's why I feel like a Msc Development Economics would limit my job prospects.
I feel like International Economics is broader and it contains development economics anyways. I can even work in Finance with a Msc International Econ.

Opinions?

They are very different topics.

If you want a job with world bank or IMF, go for international economics and make sure you are absolutely fluent with applied econometrics. International econ is more about international movement of money/labor/products, you'll be encountering models like Hecksher-Ohlin, and maybe work on topics like how the EU can (or can't) save Greece's economy through manipulation of the euro. International econ is also quite broad, you can specialize by specifically focusing on how international trade of products affects the market etc.

Development economics is working with developing countries. You'll be working on projects such as how microfinance will help Indian women, working with models such as Solow, and learning about how a country transitions from developing to developed, working with poverty - Lorenz curve, poverty line, human development index etc. 

They are completely different topics, can be inter-connected like everything else in life, but yeah. If you got an institution that you absolutely wanted to work for, aka world bank, go for the subject that lefts you do it.