Insight on University of Texas & Funding

PhDhopeful22

I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight on how UT funds their Ph.D. students. I know that they do offer GA and TAships, but I also understand that they are not guaranteed and got the feeling that they were difficult to get, especially after the first year. I would love to hear experiences from anyone who is attending or has attended UT SPH on (1) if they received funding past their first year (2) if it was difficult to get funding and (3) if they felt like they received adequate support. 

I'm also interested to hear back from newly admitted students as to whether or not they received an RAship or TAship offer yet...

Thanks!

I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight on how UT funds their Ph.D. students. I know that they do offer GA and TAships, but I also understand that they are not guaranteed and got the feeling that they were difficult to get, especially after the first year. I would love to hear experiences from anyone who is attending or has attended UT SPH on (1) if they received funding past their first year (2) if it was difficult to get funding and (3) if they felt like they received adequate support. 

I'm also interested to hear back from newly admitted students as to whether or not they received an RAship or TAship offer yet...

Thanks!

I am newly admitted to UT-Houston with one year of TAship. When I received the admission letter, they didn't mention anything about the financial aid or assistantship then. I wrote an email to the department and asked if they could give me some direction or guide about funding opportunities. I think it worked. I am also interested if any current student could share some information of the funding opportunities after the first year. Any information and direction would be a great help!

Thanks for the reply! I contacted the program as well but I was only told that I would likely get a TAship with I arrive in the fall. Who did you contact and did they give you anything official to state that you would have the TAship?

Thank you for your help and I will let you know if I hear anything back about funding after the first year.

Thanks for the reply! I contacted the program as well but I was only told that I would likely get a TAship with I arrive in the fall. Who did you contact and did they give you anything official to state that you would have the TAship?

Thank you for your help and I will let you know if I hear anything back about funding after the first year.

@PhDhopeful22, which division/program do you apply? I applied for the PhD in MPACH and contacted the director after I got the admission letter. Right now, it is only through emails with the director and the program advising staff, no *official* letter yet. But, they already said that the TAship includes the health benefits and in-state tuition eligibility. They allow me to make my final decision about the offer before Feb 28. I think after I reply my final decision, they will give me an official letter to state the details. 

Hope you get the news about assistantship or financial aid asap! I look forward to your news!

Edited by indiazoeayre1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I was out of the country! :) I was admitted to the Phd program in HPM. I wonder if the HPM program has many resources as your program. I think one of the reasons it's difficult to guarantee TAships is because they do not have an undergraduate program at that campus so they don't have many classes for TAs to help with. I was under the impression that TAs there don't get to teach a full class, even after their first year.

Sorry I was out of the country! :) I was admitted to the Phd program in HPM. I wonder if the HPM program has many resources as your program. I think one of the reasons it's difficult to guarantee TAships is because they do not have an undergraduate program at that campus so they don't have many classes for TAs to help with. I was under the impression that TAs there don't get to teach a full class, even after their first year.

@PhDhopeful22, I think we apply to the same program?! (The names of division and program are quite confusing :unsure: ) I received some information about TA and GA positions at UTSPH recently. Yet, I have decided to decline the offer and accept the admission offer from U of Iowa. Hope everything goes well with you! Good luck!  :)

Edited by indiazoeayre1