GWU Trachtenberg Fall 2014 Admitted Thread

Calatoara

Considering I've gotten 2 significant funding offers from other top programs, I'm really hoping GWU will offer something. It would be really hard to turn down that kind of $$ at the other places since I'm not really dedicated to working in DC as a life-long career.

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, it's not much of a contender at this point--I agree 100% that I couldn't justify the expense of GWU. I wasn't even strongly considering it until late December, when I applied thinking I'd have a shot at some funding. Apparently not. I've been admitted to MPP programs at both Georgetown and American at this point, so the DC location has no pull for GWU for me now, as I'm still waiting to hear back from their funding (and I have high hopes for both). 

I got funding from GW and am still waiting on the Wolcott as well (the website says early April).

Georgetown and AU are both more expensive than GW (in Georgetown's case, significantly). Did you get funding from Georgetown? Even with the funding Georgetown offered me ($30k), I'm not sure it's worth passing up GWU's offer. AU didn't give me anything.

I just received an email from the Wolcott Foundation and an attached file that appears as though it was created with a typewriter.  They offered me a Fellowship.  I won't be accepting as I just matriculated with JHU.  And the thought of being indebted to the masons seems more unsettling in hindsight.  Anyone else receive one of these? 

I got funding from GW and am still waiting on the Wolcott as well (the website says early April).

Georgetown and AU are both more expensive than GW (in Georgetown's case, significantly). Did you get funding from Georgetown? Even with the funding Georgetown offered me ($30k), I'm not sure it's worth passing up GWU's offer. AU didn't give me anything.

Georgetown also gave me $30k, nothing from AU or GWU

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks, if anyone is still making decisions and has questions about the Trachtenberg School, I'd be happy to offer my two cents as a current student.  I made my decision almost exactly 12 months ago so I still remember how tough it can be to choose a grad program!

Sneaky and DCMPP - Thanks for recovering the thread.

Sneaky - how did the program match -or didn't- your previous expectations? The general picture seems to be that GW has a very good recognition in DC Area, somehow lower to GU but higher than AU. Also very flexible courses, allowing to chose among many fields for concentration that would make the program more quant heavy or else leadership/management oriented. Finally, we're talking about a practical, field work oriented school rather than a theory based one. Do you think the program matches this idea I have?

I'd also like to know everyone's insights about the comparison between GW and GU MSPP. I'm 95% leaning to GW as a I've been granted a full tuition fellowship and did not receive any funding from GU.

Thanks!

DCMPP - those were the two schools I was choosing between in the end.  Ultimately, my decision boiled down to

• Cost: both schools offered scholarships, but GW was significantly more affordable.
  • Curriculum: I appreciated that GW gave me more options for courses and emphasized working while taking classes. An MPP is supposed to be a practical degree, after all!  There's no distinction between full-time and part-time students; everyone is in the same sections of the same classes.
  • Community: the faculty, staff, and students I met when visiting GW were consistently welcoming and engaged, and now that I'm here I can confirm - everyone here is very close-knit and active.  Even part-time students regularly show up to happy hours, networking events, and even the formal dances and annual retreat that students lead.

Honestly, both GW and GU are great schools; you probably couldn't go wrong with either.  GW made more sense for me, and I'm more than happy with my decision.

Alexarg - You're definitely spot-on about the flexibility of the degree (we can even take classes in Elliott and other GW schools) and the focus on fieldwork (almost everyone works or interns at least part time while studying here).  

As for how GW's recognition compares to other schools, I feel like it's a nonissue.  Here in DC, both Georgetown and GW (and the other area schools you mentioned) are well-respected MPP/MPA programs.  The Trachtenberg School has alumni everywhere in DC - local and federal government, non-profit groups, even private consulting firms - and those alumni are great resources for learning about career paths or getting your foot in the door someplace.

Hopefully these responses are helpful!