Attire for Social Gatherings BEFORE Interview

SMC

I will be attending an Interview Weekend in two weeks. Of course, for the actual interview day, I am aware that I should be dressed for an interview. However, the night before the interview, applicants will be expected to attend a social gathering put on by current graduate students. Also, in the evening following the interview day, there is another social event with students, faculty, etc. What would you recommend as appropriate attire for these "parties"?

I had a similar interview weekend a few weeks ago. 

For the social gathering with just current graduate students, the attire will likely be anywhere from totally casual to business casual. As long as you avoid dressing like a slob, you'll be OK. The student-only events at my interview weekend were really informal.

For the social event with faculty, business casual is probably the minimum. It's your second chance to make a good impression with the faculty and to smooth out any rough edges you may have created in the interviews.

What sort of social gathering? Are there any hints as to what the evening event will be like? If it's a cocktail party, cocktail attire is appropriate. If it's at a bar, I'd say jeans are appropriate, but maybe dress smart/trendy casual.

I'd recommend dressing a little bit more conservatively for the event with faculty on the second day.

No details yet on the setting/type of social gathering. I doubt it would be a bar, but who knows!

Sounds like good advice from both of you, though. Thanks!

Just wanted to chime in to say that at all of my interviews, student-only events (usually the first night, after you travel there) have been VERY casual - jeans and nice-but-casual shirts. For the student and faculty event, definitely stick to business casual - depending on what you are wearing for the interview itself, you may just want to wear the same clothes.