Sociology of religion at graduate level

kamilsah

Hi guys,

I want to study sociology of religion at graduate level. I had my undergraduate degree from a divinity school in Egypt, so I am looking for a program in which I can find faculty interested in/familiar with Islamic studies.

Can you recommend a sociology program which has both master and phd programs?

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi kamilsah,

As a Turkish student, I am also interested in sociology of religion and islam. If you have done enough relevant research, (supposing that you did a good job in BA) I recommend you to apply to Berkeley's Sociology which includes a young turkish academician called Cihan Z. Tugal. He has just received his PhD degree from University of Michigan. I think he has studied with another Turkish professor, Fatma Muge Gocek at Michigan. So check out Berkeley.

Another program which have an emphasis on Islam is Sociology at Pittsburgh. Have a look at this department too!

Why do not you consider Anthropology departments as well?

• 1 month later...

Me too!

I've got my undergraduate BA with a double major in Anthropology and Sociology back in the stone-age (1979).

Another Egyptian friend of mine (grandparents in Egypt - Born and raised in the USA) suggests Nebraska or University Illinois-Chicago. A friend of his (cousin atually) did history/sociology of religion at Chicago.

I'm looking to get back into Sociology of Religion myself but it would be best if I could find an on-line program. I am a dreamer, but my wife just got her Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) degree on line, so it ought to be do-able.