MS EE at Stanford, UCLA, or UCSD?

KENfP

Hey guys,

Decisions are starting to come out and I wouldd like some input on which school would be better for a terminal MS EE program between Stanford, UCLA, and UCSD. My concentration would be analog/RF communications.

I understand that for Stanford, there would be absolutely no chance of funding as the MS program is a cash cow for them, but does that mean that it's suppose to be a bad program? I read that people get accepted really easily but is that really the case? It seems like there are still a lot of rejections looking at the admission results on here.

How about UCLA vs UCSD?

Thanks.

Unfortunately, it is very unlikely you will receive funding at UCLA and UCSD too. I've talked to professors from both schools for RF, and have been informed that funding opportunities usually go to the PhD students (it is very difficult to get a TA position as an MS student for example).

Stanford overall has a big name in EE, but UCSD and UCLA are way better schools for RF. The only real difference between UCSD and UCLA is whether or not you like San Diego or Los Angeles more, although UCSD in general has a stronger reputation in engineering and science.

This might be worth a read: http://hsic.ucsd.edu/Admissions.html

In addition, UCSD is regularly recruited by Qualcomm (which is based in San Diego), while UCLA goes with Broadcom. Qualcomm has been dominating the market lately, so UCSD may be the better choice in the current state and future.

I got admits from UCSD, UCLA, and Georgia Tech; I'm definitely going with UCSD.

And yea, Stanford seems to have the reputation that they only bring in a ton of MSEE students for the quick and easy bucks. UCSD treats its EE students very well in comparison to both Stanford and UCLA.

Edited by Meirrin

PhD

Are you asking if its possible to get into a group in order to become a non terminal MS (thesis option)? If so, a professor at UCSD told me it does happen if the student does well and lets the professor know of their interest in their group, despite being an MS student.

I was told by an admissions coordinator that the electronic circuits and systems division has around 70 MS admits per year, but only 1-3 go for the thesis option. I was also told this is mainly due to the fact that many MS admits are international students who are afraid of the thesis option because of poor language skills.

Keep in mind that if you just keep your head down and pound out the coursework, you can finish the terminal MS early; it just depends on what your goals are.

Edited by Meirrin

In either way you will need to pay yourself for your studies. However, for UCSD and UCLA, I heard there are fellowships covering all the expenses that are awarded to MSc too. if it's not that case for you, so if I were you, I 'd rather go Stanford EE. Have you got in Stanford EE for this year Fall 2014? or are you planning for next year? I got a reject for a PhD in the similiar area at Stanford EE :(

Good Luck  

Surely Stanford supports RF classes and has some research, but not like UCSD, UCLA, and other schools not mentioned in this topic.

If you want Stanford for the name, that's perfectly fine considering you might be doing a terminal MS. If you are interested in research to any degree in RF; however, UCSD and UCLA clearly outshine Stanford. Top 5 schools like MIT and Stanford are not always the best choices for every sub-field in EE (Berkeley just so happens to be great for RF though).

Perhaps UCSD and UCLA do offer MS fellowships that I haven't heard of, it's worth looking into.

Edited by Meirrin

Surely Stanford supports RF classes and has some research, but not like UCSD, UCLA, and other schools not mentioned in this topic.

If you want Stanford for the name, that's perfectly fine considering you might be doing a terminal MS. If you are interested in research to any degree in RF; however, UCSD and UCLA clearly outshine Stanford. Top 5 schools like MIT and Stanford are not always the best choices for every sub-field in EE (Berkeley just so happens to be great for RF though).

Totally agree with you. I assumed he is planning for MSc only. 

In either way you will need to pay yourself for your studies. However, for UCSD and UCLA, I heard there are fellowships covering all the expenses that are awarded to MSc too. if it's not that case for you, so if I were you, I 'd rather go Stanford EE. Have you got in Stanford EE for this year Fall 2014? or are you planning for next year? I got a reject for a PhD in the similiar area at Stanford EE :(

Good Luck  

Even if there are fellowships for MSc, I think it would be extremely unlikely that I'd get it. I got accepted for MSc for Fall 2014.

Perhaps UCSD and UCLA do offer MS fellowships that I haven't heard of, it's worth looking into.

As of right now, I am only planning to get an MSc. So research aside (because it seems unlikely that I would be able to do any research as a terminal MSc anyway), would Stanford be my best option then if I wanted to do analog/RF circuits since it is coursework only, connections with silicon valley(?), and name? I am asking this based on what you said before on how most electronic circuits and systems MS students take the comprehensive exam and to me, it makes the programs somewhat similar?

Edited by KENfP

connections with silicon valley(?)

San Diego and Los Angeles have A LOT of RF opportunities too, this isn't a limiting factor. Silicon Valley has a ton of UCSD and UCLA alumni.

The two biggest RFIC designers are in Southern California (Qualcomm/Broadcom).

and name?

Any RF company in California will be very familiar with the higher quality RF programs at UCSD and UCLA. If you plan to move far away from California, Stanford will just be more recognized in general. Since UCSD and UCLA are heavy RF schools, the RF coursework will be more abundant and robust than Stanford's. I am not sure how the cost compares, but I would imagine Stanford would charge unreasonably more.

The only person who won't be able to tell that your UCSD/UCLA RF MS degree is more valuable than Stanford's is your mother; RF companies will know the difference because they are the ones hiring from California universities. Considering the biggest RF company in the world just built UCSD a new engineering building, I'm going with UCSD.

UCSD>=UCLA>Stanford

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irwin_M._Jacobs

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/Apr/02/Qualcomm-honored-by-University-of-California-SD/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Samueli

Where are you from KENfP?

Edited by Meirrin

San Diego and Los Angeles have A LOT of RF opportunities too, this isn't a limiting factor. Silicon Valley has a ton of UCSD and UCLA alumni.

The two biggest RFIC designers are in Southern California (Qualcomm/Broadcom).

Any RF company in California will be very familiar with the higher quality RF programs at UCSD and UCLA. If you plan to move far away from California, Stanford will just be more recognized in general. Since UCSD and UCLA are heavy RF schools, the RF coursework will be more abundant and robust than Stanford's. I am not sure how the cost compares, but I would imagine Stanford would charge unreasonably more.

The only person who won't be able to tell that your UCSD/UCLA RF MS degree is more valuable than Stanford's is your mother; RF companies will know the difference because they are the ones hiring from California universities. Considering the biggest RF company in the world just built UCSD a new engineering building, I'm going with UCSD.

UCSD>=UCLA>Stanford

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irwin_M._Jacobs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Samueli

Where are you from KENfP?

That was a loaded response! By the way, thank you so much for providing me with all this input. It actually really helps with my decision.

I'm actually from California too.

P.S. My mother actually told me to go to UCSD since my twin brother already goes there. She doesn't know what Stanford is. Haha.

• 4 years later...