PhD's and Job Availablity

InternetIdentity

Hello, folks.

I'd like to begin by thanking you all for participating in discussion here, as you've all provided me with some relief throughout this application process. It's always nice to know that there are others processing the same questions.

And so, I thought I'd try to get some of your insights on something else that took me a while to process, and something that will certainly impact my choosing to pursue or pass on graduate school. I believe the issue is embodied nicely by this article (from 2009, though I believe still relevant): 

https://chronicle.com/article/Graduate-School-in-the/44846/

Though there may be those of you that disagree with some of what Mr. Benson has to say, I would like to know primarily what drives you to pursue graduate school despite what may be happening in academia, and despite the difficulty that may await you upon completion (in other words, I'd be curious to know how you would act assuming that what Mr. Benson states is true, though I would also like to know how you may disagree). I know this will vary among applicants, since those accepted to top-20 institutions will presumably hold a sort of advantage if and when they graduate, but I'm sure this is something we all need to process to some extent. 

So I offer this to you for discussion, and I graciously thank you all again for taking the time to contribute to this forum. I'm a top-notch lurker.

First of all, I don't disagree with anything this author says in his article.

However, my experiences are not quite as he describes,

The professors at my undergrad were straight up with anyone who claimed to want to be a philosopher: "there are no jobs, you probably won't get one, getting into a grad school is tough, P.S. double major in something else" I have always been greatful to them for their honesty, and it is a universal, department wide attitude towards students, although some professors simply keep their mouths shut and don't bother starting that conversation with students, but most of them speak the truth, for our own benefit.

Also, personally, I am none of the options he lists at the bottom of his article, the only types that bother: I am not wealthy or connected, nor do I have a spouse to leech off of, or a pre-existing job in the profession. He would classify me as the type who is pursuing this career at "enormous personal risk" because I won't listen to people who try to tell me the truth. He just isn't right, in my case. I have been informed, and I fully believe what I have been told. But his mindset leaves no room for people who want to do what they love and couldn't care less if that makes them a starving gypsy. I didn't go into this for a job; I went into it to be happy. So for the dude who wrote the article, all I have for him is a big fat raspberry.  :P

Edited by PhD applicant

I am fully aware that there may not be a job at the other end of a PhD. But, since a university is going to pay me to do one, I don't see why I shouldn't spend the next 5-odd years of my life doing exactly what I love. Studying philosophy is awesome, and it makes me a better person. I can always get a job doing something else, but I'd still be glad I spent 5 more years doing philosophy.

indeed it has been my experience with every grad student I have yet to meet that they have no illusions about the hopelessness of what they're trying to achieve. As above, the first thing my professors told me when i informed them i was considering grad school was THERE ARE NO JOBS THERE ARE NO JOBS and once they got that clear they helped me in whatever way they could. they saw it as something of a moral obligation, really. And it's a difficult obligation to juggle. I don't know how much this is prevalent throughout the field or throughout academia as a whole but it's appreciated. I wouldn't self-analyze but it seems to me that all the graduate students I have known were driven not by idealism and delusion but by a thoroughly pessimistic yet passionate concern for what they study.

The advice I was given by a professor was 1.) don't go to grad school for philosophy, but 2.) if you do, don't go into debt in the process. I would not choose to go if I didn't receive a funded offer. The way I see it, I'm going to spend the better part of the next decade studying something I love while being paid (modestly), and I really see no harm in that as long as one believes in back-up plans.

Edited by wandajune

I am fully aware that there may not be a job at the other end of a PhD. But, since a university is going to pay me to do one, I don't see why I shouldn't spend the next 5-odd years of my life doing exactly what I love. Studying philosophy is awesome, and it makes me a better person. I can always get a job doing something else, but I'd still be glad I spent 5 more years doing philosophy.

This. And the arrogant belief that I'll work harder than others. 

Edited by Rollontheground