Ever had serious thoughts about switching from speech path to audiology?

Talk about bad timing.

I am currently seriously considering putting off grad school for a year to apply for audiology programs (right after submitting applications to 10 programs!)

Has anyone else ever been in this predicament? Any advice? (And I have already made a pros/cons list =)

Any words of encouragement/advice/whatever would be much appreciated!!

xo

L

Audiology is awesome. I've been going through similar thoughts but with Public Health. All my experience relates to community and behavioral health, and if I dont get accepted, I am considering expanding my applications to programs next fall. If I get in, who knows. Maybe I'll go back to school in 5 years to get a PhD in PH.

Oh, the possibilities!

After you get all your acceptances, I would consider what's the better choice for you. As an Aud, you get to earn a Doctorate and have one of the lowest stress careers! The worst of your worries would be annoying, time-wasting  "malingerers." You should talk to Aud majors- because a LOT of people make the switch from Speech to Aud- and reflect on what it was that you wanted as an SLP.

When I was doing my post-bacc in speech language pathology I took a semester to seriously consider a career in Audiology. I have great respect for the field of Aud, and there are a lot of great things about the field that are similar to a career in SLP. For example, you can work with a variety of ages and in a variety of settings in both the Aud and SLP fields.

Personally, I found the student doctor network online as a useful resource to help me with my decision. I highly suggest you browse through the Aud posts in there. Personally, I got a better understanding of Aud grad school and career life after talking with some Aud graduate students. It helped me realize SLP is a much better match for my interests. Two main cons for the field of Aud (for me) were the cut in salary compared to the average SLP salary and the increase in education required. However, for me it ultimately came down to what I really want to do when I am done with graduate school. I have great interest in dysphagia and, while I find Aud extremely fascinating, SLP just ended up being the better fit for my career goals and interests.

Good luck!

That's actually why I applied to both. There are aspects of both fields that peak my interest and allow me to work with the population that I want to work with in the long term. I have spoke with my mentors and we have talked about the similarities and differences between both programs.

So, the way I planned out my applications was by selecting programs that would severely pull me one way or the other. I chose my top program in each field (only two, while the rest just back up) and if I get accepted into one and not the other then I know for sure that I was meant for that program. If I get accepted into both then I will lay out the pros and cons of both programs and choose based purely on benefits and funding. While I know there are a lot of variables, I have found that with my current acceptance I already know where I want to be. Applying to both became merely a security blanket and opened my options.

Since you have already been accepted, I wouldn't hold off a year but take the year in the program to see how you really like the field especially if either of the programs put you into clinic immediately. I know that some programs allow you to petition for interdepartmental transfers (SLP to PhD program). I just don't know about SLP to AuD. You might want to look into that...

Wow, thank you so all of the wonderful responses!

@NCAR: I am glad to know I am not the only one considering other fields..The options are endless, but in my case, I wouldn't want to spend two years (&probably junkloads of $) on something that I am only so certain about. It's strange; if you would have asked me six  four months ago what I wanted to do for a career, I wouldn't bat an eye in my response. But since taking audiology courses, I am falling in love with it. I'll keep you updated!  

@ballerina: I appreciate your suggestions about the student doctor network- I had never heard of that. I have been in touch with some current AuD students as well as prospective, and find they are a very useful source of info. If anyone knows the answers to my questions, its them! Some admissions directors have also been extremely accommodating. As far as the pros and cons of slp/aud, they are pretty similar, but there are striking differences that are now drawing me to aud. The science, the medical aspect, the populations served- I am drawn to it all! Also, I don't mind the extra schooling. I am so fortunate to be in a position in which I can make a change without seriously altering my current life. Of course, I am broke as a joke, but I am pretty sure that will extend through school =)

@Impulsive: that is such a great idea! How did you get that passed CSDCAS? As far as I know, they make their applicants "claim their allegiance" to one profession over the other (which I think is absurd considering I will have a Speech AND Hearing Sciences degree). Also, taking a year into a program is really not an option for me. The closest place I applied was Northwestern- or maybe Arizona? Either way, that is a huge move and an expense I cannot incur. Interdepartmental transfers, though...interesting! Does one have to wait to actually be present in the program to request that? Or can an accepted applicant request it immediately after acceptance?

Thank you all again- this is definitely a great learning experience!

L.

I actually went the opposite way. I completed a year of my AuD before deciding it wasn't for me and making the switch to SLP. I have great respect for both fields, but was very unhappy as an AuD for a few reasons.

For one, it's very "techie": It may seem obvious, but I think I failed to realize as an undergrad just how very technologically-based audiology is. I got caught up in the anatomy and physiology of the ear and the central auditory nervous system (I still love it, by the way! I think the ear is by far one of the most fascinating parts of the human body!). However, when I got into clinic I found actual process of audiological evaluation and hearing aid work to be tedious and boring.  When you are working with hearing aids you will spend the majority of your day in front of a computer screen, which is fantastic for some people, but definitely not for me. I quickly got tired of algorithms and the process of troubleshooting hearing aids and fiddling around on computer programs. However, if you're a problem solver AND enjoy computers, it's a great career option.

I also disliked the fact that I didn't really build relationships with my clients. They came in two or three times (eval, hearing aid fitting, follow up) and that was about it. I never saw them again (or at least for another year - hardly enough to build a relationship). I realized after my first semester that a relationship with my clients was important to me and I wanted more opportunities to act in a therapeutic role other than just prescribing hearing aids. Even therapy for children with CIs and HAs, which interested me, is typically done by SLPs.

I was also troubled by the fact that audiologists are frequently treated like technicians by doctors both within hospitals and private practices. Obviously it's not like this everywhere, but it happens often enough that it gave me pause. Although you can work in various settings and with various age groups, your work is ultimately the same - evaluations, hearing aids and possibly the occasional central auditory processing eval (depending on where you are), or vestibular (again, depending on where you are). Which is fine, of course, if you enjoy all of those things. Unfortunatley, I just didn't. Also, this sounds kind of silly, but being in windowless, sound-treated rooms all of the time made me absolutely crazy! I could not have forseen how much that would bother me! Haha.

Although it wasn't really a factor for me, SLP generally pays better. Jobs are also generally more available. I also liked the wide variety of career options I would have with a master's in SLP - anything from literacy to articulation to voice to fluency to dysphagia to cognitive to AAC and beyond. I am still feeling out exactly what I want to specialize in, but I really appreciate having so many options.

In defense of audiology, it is generally a lower-stress job than SLP and is still very rewarding, especially when patients actually notice significant functional gains from their hearing aids. Even though audiologists can't technically diagnose things like middle ear infections or an acoustic neuroma, etc., the diagnostic process can still be fun and engaging. I also sometimes still miss the quiet of audiology!

This is all obviously based on my personality and experience, but I hope that you can apply it to yourself in someway. Whichever way you decide to go, you will be picking a meaningful, interesting career with a positive job outlook. You really can't go wrong. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask me.

Thank you, aucinema. That was a very insightful position that I hadn't thought of. I mean, I love technology but I was most interested in switching because of the scientific nature of the work- but it sounds like perhaps that just turns into a scientific background once becoming a practitioner.  I don't know- I am still on the edge. I love aspects of both sides- but I also do not the prospect of working with speech sound disorders, etc., which seem to be so prevalent in any SLP job. I am also hoping to work in a hospital setting, but know that these jobs are few and far between post-graduation. 

Perhaps you have any thoughts on this? Either way, there seems to be a lot of sitting in front of a computer screen and paperwork.

If you don't mind me asking- did you do a transfer within your graduate school, or did you take some time off and apply again? 

Thank you again-

your input is really helpful =)

L.

Thank you, aucinema. That was a very insightful position that I hadn't thought of. I mean, I love technology but I was most interested in switching because of the scientific nature of the work- but it sounds like perhaps that just turns into a scientific background once becoming a practitioner.  I don't know- I am still on the edge. I love aspects of both sides- but I also do not the prospect of working with speech sound disorders, etc., which seem to be so prevalent in any SLP job. I am also hoping to work in a hospital setting, but know that these jobs are few and far between post-graduation. 

Perhaps you have any thoughts on this? Either way, there seems to be a lot of sitting in front of a computer screen and paperwork.

If you don't mind me asking- did you do a transfer within your graduate school, or did you take some time off and apply again? 

Thank you again-

L.

Just a note, lululuna - I have a family member that is an SLP in a medical setting (rehabilitation center) and they rarely work with speech sound disorders.  They do much more work with swallowing and cognitive-related things.  That might be a good way to go as long as you don't mind working with the elderly instead of kids.  

Not trying to sway you one way or another - just wanted to shed some light on this aspect of the discussion.

Edited by sayjo

Thank you again-

L.

Hi lululuna,

Although there are many, many jobs in the school system for SLPs - there are still medical jobs available as well - especially if you are willing to be somewhat flexible in terms of type of setting (acute, rehab, outpatient, skilled nursing facility, etc) and location. You may wait a bit longer to be employed than education-track classmates, but that doesn't mean that you will never find a job. I am getting my education certification "just to be safe", but, like you, I am interested in the medical setting. What you see in these settings will vary greatly depending on where you are but as sayjo said, you will probably see more cog comm disorders, aphasia, dysphagia, AAC, voice, motor speech disorders, etc in the medical setting than speech sound disorders. Again, I'm not trying to sway you one way or the other, but I just don't want you to write off speech-language pathology because you think you will be stuck in a school doing artic day after day. That's certainly not the case.

To answer your question, I took a year off. I ended up going back to the same university, but they wouldn't just let me transfer and I had to reapply, which was a bit annoying but ultimately a good thing since the year off gave me time to be sure of what I really wanted.

Edited by aucinema

@ Sayjo- thanks for the insight! I LOVELOVE LOVE med/neuro speech path. I have a lot of experience in research about Neurogenic language disorders. I guess you can say I love the language part of speech-language pathology!

@ aucinema- I like the flexibility of speech path, and that's one thing keeping me drawn to it. I haven't completely written it off, I am just having serious thoughts about switching. I call it, "my mid-life crisis"...couldn't be more true! I would like to speak with more folks in audiology about job availability. According to BLS and other similar websites, it will be a flourishing profession once the baby boomers age (much like speech path)- but I still feel wary about those statistics. One thing that is really important to me is family- and all of mine is here in Oregon. I want the flexibility- in either profession- to be able to return home post-grad/post-cfy. I feel like I am asking for a lot but at the same time, funneling so much time and energy toward it, that it feels like thats what should happen after we graduate. I don't know. I need a bottle of wine and chocolate STAT! haha

Thanks for sharing, everyone!

• 3 weeks later...

Perhaps my situation is unique, but I have one SLP professor that I love and the rest I actually really dislike. On the other hand, I have loved all my audiology professors. It really has made me question if I perhaps should consider the switch, considering who I relate to the most.

Perhaps my situation is unique, but I have one SLP professor that I love and the rest I actually really dislike. On the other hand, I have loved all my audiology professors. It really has made me question if I perhaps should consider the switch, considering who I relate to the most.

That's a conclusion based on data from a relatively small sample size.  Besides--do you like the people on this forum?  Most of us are applying to speech path programs and I think we're a pretty cool and supportive community :)  What is it you like about your audiology professors that you haven't found for your SLP professors?  It may have something more to do with the material than personality.

I wanted to share with you that I also dealt with the same dilemma. In my undergrad COMD courses, I excelled in all the AuD courses - which most undergrad COMDers dreaded as they were more technical and challenging. I loved the physics aspect of sound acoustics and the ever-growing advancements of the hearing aid field. I actually started my application process applying to AuD programs. I took two undergrad courses which qualified me for a California state certification as a school audiometrist. I soon started working at a local agency as both an audiometrist and a SLP-Assistant (both are state licensed). 

After having gained over 100+ hours of doing hearing screenings at local preschools & elementary schools as well as over 50+ hours of shadowing an audiologist (mainly pediatric), I found myself becoming more and more unmotivated for AuD. I loved the academic aspect of audiology but found that the actual clinical aspect of it is not for me. IMHO, for both SLP and AuD, you MUST MUST MUST gain as much observation and shadowing hours as you can to ensure that you know exactly what you're getting yourself into. I enjoyed AuD courses more than SLP-based courses but I enjoy carrying out speech therapy so much more than conducting hearing evals. 

Best of luck in your decision!

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

I am really enjoying the support from this forum. I think the SLP/AuD community is very supportive.  I like pretty much all of the material (both SLP and AuD) but most of my SLP professors lack creativity in presenting the material and I'm a big time question asker, which seems to have gone over better with the Audiology professors. I never considered Audiology, but my professors in AuD seem to have way more passion about their careers than the speech pathologists who are teaching. I'm trying to keep in mind that it's only a few professors, but after you spend a few years with them, it does start to creep into your mind "Am I in the right part of this field?". Trying not to let the negativity bring me down, especially since I just got my acceptance letter. Grad school is a huge investment, and I hope I am getting into the right program. I suppose time will tell...at the very least my Audiology professors have made me really appreciate the field and value their work. 

nik24 - Thank you for your input! I have always wondered how anyone knows *for sure* what they want to do without really doing it for a year. I value the insight you shared.