University of Wisconsin Madison, Stipend, living costs

bansal.cs

You will be perfectly fine. Maybe even better than fine. I've got a smaller stipend and can afford to live by myself (studio), eat real food, have a fancy gym membership, and still make car payments. However, to be sure, I have no money left over at the end of the month.  

Edited by i.am.me

You will be perfectly fine. Maybe even better than fine. I've got a smaller stipend and can afford to live by myself (studio), eat real food, have a fancy gym membership, and still make car payments. However, to be sure, I have no money left over at the end of the month.  

Hey i.am.me. I've been accepted to Wisconsin just like the other poster. Tuition remission and health insurance included, but a very small 9-month stipend, 11000 before taxes. I think if I were to take the offer, I would need some extra cash just to live comfortably. What do you think?

^ Depends on how you live. If you have roommates, don't have other expenses besides rent and utilities such as credit card bills, or car payments, or a shopping/drinking habit - I think a single person will be okay. You will probably have to budget wisely on food, room and board, books, and entertainment expenses. Your stipend is about the amount that grad students in some fields make (in between thereabout). So there are people who make less than you and get by. 

Hi I.AM.ME,

My stiped of 18k = 14k TAship + 4k CS scholarship.

So, how much would I get in hand out of this. What tax slab and tax applicable on this.

Can you be more specific about you residence (single/share) and distance from the uni and your stipend amount. Also, I am vegetarian (do not drink/smoke), so, are the costs same for both veg/non-veg people?

Hello, I am afraid I cannot answer the tax questions. You are best contacting your department coordinator. 

I, and a couple of others, have posted our stats and information on the City Guide thread about Madison - I'd link you, but I don't know how.  :unsure:

• 11 months later...

^ Depends on how you live. If you have roommates, don't have other expenses besides rent and utilities such as credit card bills, or car payments, or a shopping/drinking habit - I think a single person will be okay. You will probably have to budget wisely on food, room and board, books, and entertainment expenses. Your stipend is about the amount that grad students in some fields make (in between thereabout). So there are people who make less than you and get by. 

Hi everyone! I know this is an old thread and maybe no one's going to answer, but I've been accepted to UW-Madison and, just like litinworld I've got a $11k nine-month stipend before taxes (plus tuition remission and health insurance). I was thinking about renting a place on my own (not exceding 600$ per month). Do you think it's possible with my living stipend? i.am.me, maybe you can add something else? thanks a lot :)

• 1 year later...