Admissions Data Regarding PhD Admits With M.A.

bar_scene_gambler

Admissions Data  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Were you admitted to a PhD Program with or without an M.A.?

• Admitted with M.A.
    • Waitlisted with M.A.
    • Admitted with B.A. from Top 50 PGR School
    • Admitted with B.A. from Non-Top 50 School
    • Waitlisted with B.A. from Top 50 PGR School
    • Waitlisted with B.A. from Non-Top 50 School
    • Other/My education was non-traditional
    • Rejected with M.A.
    • Rejected with B.A. from Top 50 PGR School
    • Rejected with B.A. from Non-Top 50 school.

I've seen that mentioned by Ian, I suppose he means those mentioned in the first category here: "After Tufts, several other terminal MA programs have very strong faculties:  Arizona State University, Brandeis University (their M.A. program is relatively new, so has a limited placement ecord), Georgia State University, Northern Illinois University, University of Wisconsin at Milwaukee, and Virginia Poytechnic Institute & State University"

Do you think these are distinctions worth making on the survey? Or I could just distinguish between institutions that also have PhD programs and ones that don't?

I'm not really sure the distinction matters,  but if people want to go for it, I won't be upset. I'm just concerned with sample size. 44 votes is great,  but it doesn't really seem like enough to indicate any kind of trend. Anyway, I'll keep track of the acceptance, waitlist, and rejection threads and take the posts into account as I compile the information.

• 3 weeks later...

Explanation:  After earning a BA from an unnoteworthy school, I applied to both MA programs as well as PhD programs.  I was accepted by some of each and rejected by some of each.  The PhD program could not fund me; so I chose to attend an MA program that could.  After completing the MA program, I applied to 2 PhD programs.  I was accepted to one and rejected to the other.  I had to drop the PhD program for personal reasons and am now reapplying to the same program.  No news yet on this my third go round. 

I just finished speaking with someone in an adcomm from one of the schools I applied to. It's ranked on the PGR. Anyway, I asked him/her for feedback on my application, and s/he said that, despite the fact that the adcomm found my application "very interesting", they had a strong pool of applicants, many of whom are applying with M.A.'s. Now, I know that the "To M.A. or not to M.A." is a touchy subject here, and I don't want to stir the pot any, but, said professor on the adcomm essentially said that the only applicants that they considered were people with M.A's and high GRE scores. S/he told me that the best way to be considered (if I'm not accepted this year) is to get an M.A. and reapply after I've finished. So, I figured I'd start a little poll here and see whether or not the admissions decisions of those who participate on this forum coincide with the advice that was given to me. It would be extremely interesting to see if the M.A. students are the only ones cleaning house, or if there are still strong applications from people with only B.A.'s. If you wouldn't mind, please respond to the poll question.

EDIT: And if people think this would be better off private, please feel free to say so. I can always repost the results when people have stopped voting.

Meaning, the applicants they considered had either a MA or high GRE scorea, or both a MA and high GRE scores?

I still need to contact two schools, but, coming from a rather small undergrad philosophy program in West TN, I applied to a number of Ph.D. programs and got a positive variety. However, for top 50 PGR I was rejected. (One of those rejections is assumed, but I still need to contact for verification. Also, one might be an unofficial waitlisting but won't be sure until I call. I'm not overly optimistic but still hopeful!) It seems my writing sample has been a big influence in the process of admissions.

I just finished speaking with someone in an adcomm from one of the schools I applied to. It's ranked on the PGR. Anyway, I asked him/her for feedback on my application, and s/he said that, despite the fact that the adcomm found my application "very interesting", they had a strong pool of applicants, many of whom are applying with M.A.'s. Now, I know that the "To M.A. or not to M.A." is a touchy subject here, and I don't want to stir the pot any, but, said professor on the adcomm essentially said that the only applicants that they considered were people with M.A's and high GRE scores. S/he told me that the best way to be considered (if I'm not accepted this year) is to get an M.A. and reapply after I've finished. So, I figured I'd start a little poll here and see whether or not the admissions decisions of those who participate on this forum coincide with the advice that was given to me. It would be extremely interesting to see if the M.A. students are the only ones cleaning house, or if there are still strong applications from people with only B.A.'s. If you wouldn't mind, please respond to the poll question.

EDIT: And if people think this would be better off private, please feel free to say so. I can always repost the results when people have stopped voting.

A bit of clarification, since you say you were advised to apply "after I've finished".  Is this meant to imply that they are looking specifically for people with an M.A. already in hand at time of application?  This would be news to me, since I took it as the norm that people would be applying in their final year of the masters.

A bit of clarification, since you say you were advised to apply "after I've finished".  Is this meant to imply that they are looking specifically for people with an M.A. already in hand at time of application?  This would be news to me, since I took it as the norm that people would be applying in their final year of the masters.

I know that many people apply in their last year of the MA so surely that's what is meant, tho I see why you would ask.