Extending a Visit Day - What Should I Look For?

PhDerp

Based on ranking, research fit, and my conversation with my advisor-to-be, I'm 99% sure I'm taking the offer from this school. I'm going to visit next week and it's a flight across the country, so I thought I'd extend it a day and turn it into a mini-vacation (the week before my spring break, lol). I think the visit is still important because if I really, really hate the area, I won't go. But I hope this isn't the case!

They're going to give me two days of visiting the school with a lot of guidance and a schedule when I'm there, and that's great! But I really want to go explore the area on my own (actually, I'm hoping to visit a friend, too).

While I'm in the city where I will probably spend the next 6 years of my life, what should I do? Should I look at apartment complexes? Restaurants? Roller skating rinks? Grocery stores? Bars? I know I should see what I'm most curious about, but... I'm blanking here!

It might help if anyone can answer this question: What do you wish you checked out at the school you were visiting, and the area around it? Is there anything you would've liked to look out for?

Romantic spots, movie theatres (ones that show recent movies), grocery stores (gotta be some within the area), bookstores...

I think it all depends on what you would be doing while in Grad School, and what you like doing. For example, I currently do not have a driver's license, so everything has to be within a walk/bus ride/bike ride away. I like biking, (I'm a total noob though), so bike lanes and bike paths are a thing I'd look out for. I like to at least try to cook, so any foodie places would be something to look into (but not a must). I will have days where I would rather be doing nothing, or do not have the energy to cook, so nearby takeout spots or pizza places, like a Papa Johns, would be right up my alley.

You're obviously not going to know how livable a place is after a day (unless it was really, REALLY bad), so I guess you should ask yourself what's most important to you, and look for that.

Romantic spots, movie theatres (ones that show recent movies), grocery stores (gotta be some within the area), bookstores...

I think it all depends on what you would be doing while in Grad School, and what you like doing. For example, I currently do not have a driver's license, so everything has to be within a walk/bus ride/bike ride away. I like biking, (I'm a total noob though), so bike lanes and bike paths are a thing I'd look out for.

Oh wow, I hadn't even thought of some of these. Thank you!

Romantic spots, bike lanes / paths, bookstores, and movie theatres are all relevant to me, and I didn't think of them at all! I plan on going without a car, so I also need to make sure things are within walking or biking distance for me. :)

It helped me to read the city guides on this site as well as city guides on websites for apartment hunters. They give you overall insight on the area and might give a few things (good and bad) to look out for that you might not notice otherwise.

Also, I know you said it's a cross country flight, but if you think you might definitely go there AND you're less adaptable/ must LOVE the area in order to survive there, it might be worthwhile to set up flight alerts and make a second trip and stay with your friend. I know this is expensive, but what I "wish" I could have had was a second chance to visit the places I considered strongly. Almost every place felt different the second time around, especially if I went back to apartment hunt (but by that point I was committed). Given that you aren't a local prospective student, some programs will split the second trip with you (which is great if you don't mind taking things like red eyes because they're cheaper anyway). 

Finally, if you're a person that will want to visit your friends/family/etc. on the East Coast or if the majority of the conferences in your field are on the East Coast, consider how you feel during the trip. Does it bother you that it takes so long to go cross country and is so expensive or are you happy to rack up miles?

I plan on going without a car, so I also need to make sure things are within walking or biking distance for me. :)

If you are talking about the city I think you're talking about, I will warn you that this will be very difficult.  Talk to current students and see what kind of advice other people have for getting around without a car!  Feel free to PM me if you want a more detailed comment. :)  I'm sure it's doable, but there are a few hinderances to keep in mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the wonderful advice!! The visit day went amazingly and I got a lot of information while I was there! :)

The best part was after the day officially ended, a student entirely uninvolved in hosting us offered to show me to a building, since I thought I'd visit the lab I'm interested in. He sat down with me for a while and explained why he chose USC over other schools (including arguably the 5th best school in America by USNews), and showed me some amazing statistics. He also gave me honest answers about what he doesn't like about USC. It was great!

Between the great campus tour, meeting my potential lab-mates (all of whom I got along with very well), visiting a lab meeting for a related group (my work is going to be interdisciplinary and I plan on keeping up with at least 2 groups' work), and my own tour of LA with a friend who lives in the area... It was a very successful few days. I was seriously out of questions by the time I was done!

And I got info about the romantic areas, commute recommendations, and entertainment spots out of all this to boot! What an informative (and exhausting) weekend!

Edited by PhDerp