Signed acceptance letter but received an offer from a better school

doka1101

Hello,

I am not sure if I posted in the correct forum. I recently signed an acceptance letter (but have not paid the deposit yet).  However,  today I got accepted to another school, which I want to attend more than the school that I signed the letter.

Is it too late to back out now? Do you think the school will tell me to pay the deposit as a penalty?

When I write the school an email, should I tell them the truth?

Thank you and please advise.

Just out of curiosity, if you were still waiting to hear from another program that you liked more, how come you signed an acceptance?

In any case, better to come clean and tell them you made a mistake and believe it is in yours and the institution's best interest for you to part ways. Be nice and apologize and they will probably get over it. :)

I'm facing a similar quandary. I know that some programs that I applied to will not get back to me until March/April at the absolute earliest (one may not reply until May). I have one acceptance pending, but they want me to respond by the end of next week. I'm torn - I like this program, but the others will likely offer me more opportunities after graduating (and they fit better with my research interests).

So, should I accept the one program that has offered me a position, should I ask for more time (knowing that the outstanding programs won't get back to me for months)? If I accept now and get into one of the other programs in a few months, is it acceptable to change my mind months late?

Edited by Kaitri

Just ask them for more time. If the school you're currently accepted to won't give you more time, then that tells you how much they value you. If they really cared about you as a student and your best interests, they would give you an extension.

Yes, you should tell the school the truth. I don't think they will make you pay the deposit though, if you have not paid it yet.

@TakeruK - thanks so much for the information, I was also more incline to tell them the truth.

Just out of curiosity, if you were still waiting to hear from another program that you liked more, how come you signed an acceptance?

In any case, better to come clean and tell them you made a mistake and believe it is in yours and the institution's best interest for you to part ways. Be nice and apologize and they will probably get over it. :)

@SocGirl2013 - thanks so much for your feedback. the school that I signed the letter gave me a three week deadline. I haven't heard back from the other schools after two weeks, hence I signed the letter, I guess I should have wait, it was a mistake from my end!