How would you pick between departments

Philhopeful

I just got this link in my email today, thought it might be useful for deciding between schools. It has detailed analysis of placement records for the Leiter 50, for terminal MAs, and for Continental Philosophy:

http://www.philosophynews.com/post/2013/10/02/Will-I-get-a-Job-Graduate-School-Philosophy-Placement-Records.aspx

EDIT: Oops, just saw the acceptance thread. Apparently there are problems with the above analysis? If so, my bad.

Edited by Monadology

I just got this link in my email today, thought it might be useful for deciding between schools. It has detailed analysis of placement records for the Leiter 50, for terminal MAs, and for Continental Philosophy:

http://www.philosophynews.com/post/2013/10/02/Will-I-get-a-Job-Graduate-School-Philosophy-Placement-Records.aspx

EDIT: Oops, just saw the acceptance thread. Apparently there are problems with the above analysis? If so, my bad.

This brings up a good point which I don't know if has been mentioned yet here, but was brought up in a different thread. Check into the placement records of professors you suspect may be your future advisor. That'll be a far more accurate representation of your future than the general rankings will. You may have to email the department to get this information, but I suspect this information can be very important.

I know that at my BA institution, which also had an MA and PhD department, the MA department is a top-10 program if you considered it's overall placement. But if you only counted the placement records of the analytic students, it'd probably be like equal to Tufts if not better. There was a ginormous difference in placement depending on who your advisor was.