Columbia Biostatistics, high or as low

stat2013

It looks like (at least to me) Columbia Stat MS program has a bad reputation in their quality, regardless of its recruitment or placement. I am wondering whether it's the same for their Biostat program. I've been looking for info in the forum. But not much about it was discussed here, or I could just have missed them. Anybody wants to share what you know?

I was admitted to the Statistical genetics track, which again isn't among any of previous discussions... anyone has an idea about how it compares to the Theory and Method track?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It looks like (at least to me) Columbia Stat MS program has a bad reputation in their quality, regardless of its recruitment or placement. I am wondering whether it's the same for their Biostat program. I've been looking for info in the forum. But not much about it was discussed here, or I could just have missed them. Anybody wants to share what you know?

I was admitted to the Statistical genetics track, which again isn't among any of previous discussions... anyone has an idea about how it compares to the Theory and Method track?

I don't think the department is still offering courses listed on the Statistical Genetics Track (MS/SG). A couple of professors teaching those courses left several years ago.

The department cares about the reputation of the MS programs. The class size of Theory & Methods Track (MS/TM) is around 20 each year and teaching quality is greatly valued. According to staff members here, the department is aware that it is impossible to fund the department with tuition from masters students so they kind of care about the reputation of the program and "they only let people in who they think belong here".

I think they just had a few meetings about reforming the curriculum of the MS/TM. They wanna make it more rigorous in terms of probability & inference and add more training in statistical computing.

Hope that helps. 

BTW, congratulations!

Edited by MrSafire