IR type degrees vs MPP

99_boy

MAs in IR and MPPs ar pretty distinct degrees, yet it seems like they get lumped together all the time. I think this is because IR grads and MPP grads (especially MPP grads that specialize in something IR related) tend to get the same jobs. I am deciding between one MPP program and a couple IR programs. Are the job prospects that much different for MPP vs. IR?

I would think so. MPP/MPA tend to be public sector. With an IR degree you have greater options of specializing in the private sector (international business for example.) This will definitely provide flexibility for your career outlook.

I agree with Monika. It also seems like the typical MPP/MPA degree is more focused on domestic policy which affects job prospects, but there are some MPP/MPA programs that are mentioned consistently with the top IR programs-like KSG or WWS. Those seem to be exceptions though.

I agree with Monika. It also seems like the typical MPP/MPA degree is more focused on domestic policy which affects job prospects, but there are some MPP/MPA programs that are mentioned consistently with the top IR programs-like KSG or WWS. Those seem to be exceptions though.

Hi - Can you let me know where that is mentioned? I am struggling in my decision re: KSG and want to know how it is regarded in IR communities. I would love to hear anything specific to its MPA program also in this regard.

Spitts,

I am primarily alluding to the Foreign Policy rankings of top IR programs. For this year Harvard was 3rd and WWS was 6th for terminal Masters programs. I understand that anybody can question the methodology used for their survey, but I still think it says something, especially since there seems to be consensus as far as the top six programs. Having said that, a lot of people on these forums seem to go too strictly off rankings while giving less consideration to other factors. Look-you have been accepted to some awesome schools; many people would love to be in your position!

Most MPA degrees are Masters of Public Administration; the Princeton MPA is a Master of Public Affairs (as is the LBJ degree). If anything, it has more of an international focus, as evidenced by its membership status in APSIA (Association of Professional Schools of International Affairs). Many of the other top "public policy" programs are also members of APSIA. These include: Duke Sanford, HKS, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, and LBJ. Any of these schools will set you up for a career in international service, and assuming you are already proficient in another language, sometimes with a more desirable skill set than some of the more theoretical international relations programs. If you know you are interested in an international career, there is no problem going to one of the aforementioned schools--however, it might not be a good idea to go to a MPA/MPP in a school that offers a strong IR program as well (GW, GT, Johns Hopkins, etc.).

I suggest looking at job solicitations for some of the careers that might interest you. When I do the same, I almost never see any preference for a MPP vs. MPA vs. IR, but a preference for candidates who speak a "useful" second language, know SAS/STATA/SPSS, and have some sort of masters degree broadly related to field.