Thoughts: BU vs. UPitt

pryingdelilah

Throwing my hat into this ring! 

I am super struggling with the decision between UPitt and BU. As many of you know, BU is not being at all accommodating with their deadline, so I would have to put in a deposit by Tuesday. Thoughts??

Boston University

Pros
-BU is in Boston, about an hour away from where my parents live, which has the added bonus of being able to stay on their MA centered health insurance
-They gave me a 3/4 tuition scholarship, meaning that I will be billed for ~$7k
-BU has a great reputation in Massachusetts and it is somewhat likely I would end up in MA when I start a career

Cons
-Cost of living in Boston is scary high
-They don't guarantee comparable funding year to year (I spoke to the financial aid counselor, this is mostly to cover their asses, but still...)
-It's possible that I am trying to stay in my comfort zone during a time when I maybe should be branching out

University of Pittsburgh

Pros
-Cost of living is lower and they give you a free transportation card
-They have a Center on Race and Social Problems
-They have guaranteed funding me ~2/3 of their tuition each semester, meaning I will be billed for ~$8k

Cons
-Distance
-It's doubtful that I would stay in Pittsburgh after receiving my degree

HELP!

When you cant decide...consider the money. Calculate everything and see where you would come out cheaper. Also visit the school so you can get a feel for the city and people.

What are you concentrating in? ...I heard Pitt has a stronger Macro focus compared to Micro

Edited by MissNatural

I am interested in clinical work. I am visiting UPitt at the end of March, I just am so conflicted! I thought cost would be my deciding factor, but they are kind of equal. I suppose visiting will make all the difference. 

I don't know anything about BU (except that it also seems to be an excellent school), but I'll vote for Pitt anyway because I know a little about Pittsburgh. What's your area of concentration?  Also - how did you get such generous aid?  I live in PA and they didn't offer me a penny. All I can get is loans. 

I don't know anything about BU (except that it also seems to be an excellent school), but I'll vote for Pitt anyway because I know a little about Pittsburgh. What's your area of concentration?  Also - how did you get such generous aid?  I live in PA and they didn't offer me a penny. All I can get is loans. 

I'm going into a direct practice concentration, and to be honest, I'm not really sure how they decide funding. I know I have a somewhat high GPA, but other than that I'm not sure what they based their aid on. I am definitely thankful, I just don't know how to decide between them when the funding is so comparable...