Physics PhD: UCSD or UCB

Tommy D

Hello All, 

I am applying to Physics PhD programs this round. Got five offers so far. Right now my top choices are UC San Diego and UC Berkeley, and I want to see what the grapevine has to say about both. 

San Diego really likes me. They're offering an extra 14K in stipend for the first year. They're a strong program, but Berkeley by most measures is the better regarded program, basically running a National Lab (LBNL) and just generally famous. 

So what would you do? 

Hello All, 

I am applying to Physics PhD programs this round. Got five offers so far. Right now my top choices are UC San Diego and UC Berkeley, and I want to see what the grapevine has to say about both. 

San Diego really likes me. They're offering an extra 14K in stipend for the first year. They're a strong program, but Berkeley by most measures is the better regarded program, basically running a National Lab (LBNL) and just generally famous. 

So what would you do? 

I agree with you that Berkeley definitely has a far stronger research program and reputation. Until my PhD program, I was in Physics departments and I have to say that while I heard a ton of good things about UCB, there wasn't much about UCSD.

However, I think you should visit both schools, if possible, and then factor that along with everything else so far in  your final decision. When I made my final decision, it was really the visit that played a very large role. You learn a lot about the city and the department and the people there that you just can't find out from the department website. Some people had much different research interests than I had originally thought so I was very glad I visited. 

Stipend is important, but to me, I think I would just mostly worry about whether or not UCB and UCSD are offering enough to live comfortably in their respective cities. So if UCB is already offering a decent stipend, the extra $14k from UCSD isn't going to be a huge factor, in my opinion. Basically, if you want to look at it in practical terms, I really think the calibre of UCB's program will earn you much more than $14k in lifelong earning potential. However, the extra $14k in the first year (basically a bit less than $3k/year) can make a huge difference if UCB's stipend offer is too low to live comfortably. 5+ years of living in constant financial worry can be a big drain on your life and well-being.

Anyone who says UCB hasn't been around in the physics field enough. I went to UCB for physics undergrad and am a 2nd year PhD student at UCSD. The equipment, research, and funding is beyond what you could get at UCB.

14k more funding at UCSD is extremely significant, not only for your life but as an indicator of the program quality. Don't let people convince you of the over-hyped UCB "craze", it is not the best choice for physics. And don't take advice from people outside of our field (physics), you will find they will suggest UCB for no logical reason. UCSD is a very young school, and rankings in your high school college-prep magazine will thus be very unrealistically skewed.

Go visit the schools and see exactly what I'm talking about for yourself. UCSD is the better choice.

Edited by Collinskay

Anyone who says UCB hasn't been around in the physics field enough. I went to UCB for physics undergrad and am a 2nd year PhD student at UCSD. The equipment, research, and funding is beyond what you could get at UCB.

14k more funding at UCSD is extremely significant, not only for your life but as an indicator of the program quality. Don't let people convince you of the over-hyped UCB "craze", it is not the best choice for physics. And don't take advice from people outside of our field (physics), you will find they will suggest UCB for no logical reason. UCSD is a very young school, and rankings in your high school college-prep magazine will thus be very unrealistically skewed.

Go visit the schools and see exactly what I'm talking about for yourself. UCSD is the better choice.

How's the housing situation down there? La Jolla has the reputation for being a really expensive place. 

Did my undergrad at UCSD - I lived on Camino Kiosco, close to UTC Mall. Free bus (with student sticker) took me straight to campus. Took me 30 minutes each way.

EDIT: Rent was $650/month and never needed a car.

Edited by starofdawn