Masters programs that emphasize Evidence-Based Practice and research methodology?

Hi all,

I was wondering if I could get some feedback about schools from you all.

What programs emphasize EBP in their curriculum?

-For example, I have found that U of Wash has EBP courses in their Med-SLP curriculum. They also have research methods courses.

What programs are supportive of research? Are their certain schools in which most/all students complete a thesis?

- U of Arizona appears to emphasize research on their website.

Are there any others that you are aware of? I want programs that really emphasize research... There also appears to a massive gap in the literature as far as clinical trials go. Most research I've come across is pre-/post and does not include a control group. Please let me know any suggestions or thoughts you may have.

Thanks!

Edited by Saila09

While this isn't a sure bet but it was recommended to me, look at schools that have a high regard for research. Most schools that have a current/strong research base tend to emphasize EBP. 

If you want a program that emphasizes research - do your own on the school. Decide what you find interesting then look up the most current literature. Look up the researcher (where they teach, who they are affiliated with), the school, the program. That's how I selected all of my schools. 

Hi Saila09, the program at the University of Connecticut heavily emphasizes EBP and all first years are required to take a research methods course. I wouldn't say that most/all of the students in the program do master's theses but it is strongly encouraged and there are several labs available for students to do their research in. I agree with the suggestion above, however, to look for programs that turn out a lot of research and have several active researchers in their faculty. I think most programs that are high to mid ranked schools will emphasize EBP (one would hope so anyway!).

I go to the University at Buffalo (UB) currently for undergrad and will be attending for my Master's in the fall. UB is a research university and if you attend, you have the chance to actually work in the labs with some really well known researchers in the field. I currently work in the Motor Speech Disorders Lab there and have had the opportunity to help with pilot studies and lots of TF32 analysis work. Everyone there is wonderful and there are specific courses dedicated to research (such as "Research Methods").

There is also a huge emphasis on EBP. I currently have a client with aphasia in the clinic and my supervisor would not let me finalize any short term goals without evidence that supports what I planned to do in therapy sessions. It's a great way to learn and so important for SLPs.

UB is also the highest ranked SLP school in New York state. I would truly recommend the program, I love it here! (Plus, Buffalo is an awesome city) I hope you find a program that suits your interests!