Anthropology, UNLV vs. WSU

CulturalAnth

Please help me work through these two offers of admission to UNLV and Washington State for Cultural Anthropology grad programs.. I would love advice on which ones you would choose, which basically come down to happiness vs. money. I also have a very complicated situation in which I've found myself pregnant (unplanned) right after I applied to grad school! So, I additionally have to take into consideration the ability to have a baby in the middle of Fall semester (ack!)! 

UNLV, Pros:

- In an idea location, with great year-round weather, lots of fun stuff to do for both families and date nights. I would be very happy living here, especially because I suffer from SAD, and need to get away from cold, long, winters. 

- Low cost of living

- Family close by, and I already have friends and a support network in the area. 

- Pretty close (5 hrs) from my older kids' dad. Would make travel cheaper and easier between our 2 homes. 

- I LOVE the advisors I will be working with. When I met them, we clicked right away, and I would be very happy working with them. I also love the research that I would be able to do at this university. 

- DH can get a very comfortable-paying job in this city, very easily. 

- I can eat out in this city- lots to choose from for a GF/Veg person like myself. 

- Would be close to many fun and interesting locations to visit and take weekend trips to. We really like to travel and would love to have access to so many locations within a few hours drive. 

- Maternity: I can take 4 weeks as a student and/or GA, and can go PT with a GA. 

UNLV, Cons: 

- This school doesn't come with guaranteed funding for first year grad students. I would have to pay for the first year, as an out-of-state grad student (which, going part time would be ~$7k). It is more possible that I would get funding the next years, but not guaranteed. 

- I got accepted into the MA program, option 2 is for a PhD, which means that I would have to go through this all over again for a PhD! 

WSU, Pros: 

- This option would likely come with fantastic funding: full tuition, plus about $1500/month.

- The research would be really great, and I would get paid and travel expenses paid, to travel out of the country for the research (the Prof. has an NSF grant). 

- Very low cost of living, especially compared to having a dual income with both DH and I bringing home a paycheck. 

- This program would be for a straight to PhD, getting my MA on the way. 

WSU, Cons: 

- The city this university is located in is another cold, long-winter, location. I would really not like living there. 

- The job market for DH is lacking. It would be very difficult for him to find a job in his field there. He can, however, telecommute and keep the job that he has now (but it doesn't pay that well either). 

- There are no eating out food options for me. Maybe one or two, and no Indian food (my go-to comfort food) for 1 1/2 hours away.

- This location is very isolated. There is another city close by, but every other large city is 5-8 hours drive away. 

- It would take me an entire day to drive to my older kids' father's house, and all of our family would also be very, very far. 

- Maternity Leave: applies only to those who have been enrolled for one year, and going full time. 

Edited by CulturalAnth

I don't have time for a full answer now, but what I would do if I were you first (before I made any decisions), is try to get more money out of UNLV. Since your funding package is so great at WSU - they should give you more. You can do this very respectfully, without coming across as demanding or belittling. Usually, they will simply ask for your WSU admissions letter (for proof) and send it to higher ups. They won't always offer more funding (sometimes they simply don't have it) but it's worth a try.

The reason I suggest this is because it sounds like you're not completely sure you want to go to WSU (hence the thread). Therefore, I would not dedicate my self to ~10 years on a whim. UNLV is a great program and it seems you fit well. If they offer you more funding, I would go there and excel. After 2 years you get to decide to stay or go with your new sparkly M.A. in hand. You will be a great candidate for lots of programs, and you will have the benefit next time of choosing between all kinds of schools!

That's just what I would do. If they didn't offer me funding I would go to WSU. This is because after you get your MA from WSU you can always transfer somewhere else if you are not happy. Two years in a program is not that big of a deal, Pullman is not bad, WSU has great Anthropologists (Andrefsky, Grier, Quinlan and Quinlan, are the ones I know particularly), the research is good, and you will have zero debt. Plus WSU does a good job of encouraging their students to publish and go to conferences. They have a rating system that gives grad students points for doing these things which creates very collaborative and successful cohorts. 

Either way you are going to be in great hands. Good Luck! 

Edited by DigDeep

Thanks for your feedback, DigDeep. I guess my biggest concern with deciding between the 2 are because it's between an MA and a PhD. From reading the threads on this forum, it is making me worried that there is a chance I won't be accepted into a PhD after I get an MA. 

Funding for either isn't yet set in stone. They are still deciding on funding packages for RAs and GAs. From what I gathered when I met with both UNLV and WSU is that getting a GA is much harder at UNLV (because of lack of funds) than it is at WSU, who told me most of their grad students get funded. 

So, I think I am reading correctly that you think the best course of action would be to go to UNLV if I got funded only, and if not than choose WSU, right? 

Thanks for your feedback, DigDeep. I guess my biggest concern with deciding between the 2 are because it's between an MA and a PhD. From reading the threads on this forum, it is making me worried that there is a chance I won't be accepted into a PhD after I get an MA. 

Funding for either isn't yet set in stone. They are still deciding on funding packages for RAs and GAs. From what I gathered when I met with both UNLV and WSU is that getting a GA is much harder at UNLV (because of lack of funds) than it is at WSU, who told me most of their grad students get funded. 

So, I think I am reading correctly that you think the best course of action would be to go to UNLV if I got funded only, and if not than choose WSU, right? 

Yes, that's my suggestion. If both places are awesome research that you would like to be a part of you have nothing to lose. Although you did mention SAD (which is a serious problem we both share) I think that if you take the proper measures to combat it you will be fine. Since Pullman is on the Eastearn side of Washington, all of the horror stories about rain in Oregon and Washington (that are true on the Western sides) will not be as applicable. When I lived in the PNW my first year, it was terrible, but you learn to adapt. 

I would like to say that getting into a PhD program after your MA is actually not hard. The sample size on this forum is quite small, and plenty of people post-MA go on to a PhD. Worrying about not getting into a PhD program with an MA is definitely not warranted for many reasons. I, myself, just got into a good program with an MA. It bought me time to figure out what I  really  wanted to do, gave me ample opportunities for research, conference presentations/posters, develop networks, read widely, and I learned how to do science, not just about it. Definitely do not look down on an MA - it's very valuable. If you're in it for the long haul (academia) education is a marathon, not a sprint. 

If you do go to WSU keep in mind that you can always leave after you get that MA if you so choose. It's not permanent and it's no big deal if you do decide to go! I wouldn't pay to go to school if you don't have to - especially if the research is interesting and it's something you think you can do well and succeed at. 

I know both departments are good.  I only know Geoffrey Smith and Gary Haynes (archaeologists) from UNLV. I know two post-UNLV grads who are faculty now. I know the aforementioned profs at WSU, two current grad students, and 2 post-grads who are faculty. Although my experience in the departments is non-existent, all of these individuals that are products of these departments are stellar-academics and great people. So, I'll say again, you'll be in good hands whichever you choose! 

The best choice is where you think you will be the happiest! 

Edited by DigDeep

Yes, that's my suggestion. If both places are awesome research that you would like to be a part of you have nothing to lose. Although you did mention SAD (which is a serious problem we both share) I think that if you take the proper measures to combat it you will be fine. Since Pullman is on the Eastearn side of Washington, all of the horror stories about rain in Oregon and Washington (that are true on the Western sides) will not be as applicable. When I lived in the PNW my first year, it was terrible, but you learn to adapt. 

I would like to say that getting into a PhD program after your MA is actually not hard. The sample size on this forum is quite small, and plenty of people post-MA go on to a PhD. Worrying about not getting into a PhD program with an MA is definitely not warranted for many reasons. I, myself, just got into a good program with an MA. It bought me time to figure out what I  really  wanted to do, gave me ample opportunities for research, conference presentations/posters, develop networks, read widely, and I learned how to do science, not just about it. Definitely do not look down on an MA - it's very valuable. If you're in it for the long haul (academia) education is a marathon, not a sprint. 

If you do go to WSU keep in mind that you can always leave after you get that MA if you so choose. It's not permanent and it's no big deal if you do decide to go! I wouldn't pay to go to school if you don't have to - especially if the research is interesting and it's something you think you can do well and succeed at. 

I know both departments are good.  I only know Geoffrey Smith and Gary Haynes (archaeologists) from UNLV. I know two post-UNLV grads who are faculty now. I know the aforementioned profs at WSU, two current grad students, and 2 post-grads who are faculty. Although my experience in the departments is non-existent, all of these individuals that are products of these departments are stellar-academics and great people. So, I'll say again, you'll be in good hands whichever you choose! 

The best choice is where you think you will be the happiest! 

Thank you, thank you :) I don't know any faculty that has come out of UNLV, but a couple of my former professors only have very positive things to say about their program. I am on a cultural track, so I probably won't work much with Smith and Haynes besides taking 4-field seminars. I would be working with Dr. Benysheck and Dr. Crittenden, who are just a super awesome anthropologist couple! I could do both biocultural and applied anthropology there as well, which is nice. 

One of my arch. profs at USU went to WSU for his PhD and said it was fantastic. And, he's done well with a TT position, here at USU, a few years after completing his degree. I would work with Dr. Meehan who is a newer prof, but has glowing reviews from my USU mentor, Dr. Lancy. 

In the end, my biggest concern is the darn unplanned pregnancy! If I go to UNLV, I can be a GA (if I get one), still go PT my first year, and be able to take 4 weeks leave. If I go to WSU, there is no maternity leave until one academic year (and I am not having any more kids! Ideally this one would have come next year, not this year!), and would have to go FT with a 20 hr/week GA or RA. I have no idea if they will work with me on that. 

In the end, my biggest concern is the darn unplanned pregnancy! If I go to UNLV, I can be a GA (if I get one), still go PT my first year, and be able to take 4 weeks leave. If I go to WSU, there is no maternity leave until one academic year (and I am not having any more kids! Ideally this one would have come next year, not this year!), and would have to go FT with a 20 hr/week GA or RA. I have no idea if they will work with me on that. 

Sounds like you are already in some great hands! That's great to hear. As for maternity leave, they will absolutely work with you (and frankly, are bound by law to). All you would have to do if this happened is fill this form:

http://gradschool.wsu.edu/Documents/PDF/Short-TermParentalLeaveForm.pdf

or a Leave of Absence: http://gradschool.wsu.edu/CurrentStudents/PoliciesAndProcedures/Chapter5/OfficialLeavesOfAbsence.html

Also, here is some great information on Pregnancy, Parenting, and Student Rights:

http://www.nwlc.org/resource/pregnant-and-parenting-students-rights-faqs-college-and-graduate-students

:)

Sounds like you are already in some great hands! That's great to hear. As for maternity leave, they will absolutely work with you (and frankly, are bound by law to). All you would have to do if this happened is fill this form:

http://gradschool.wsu.edu/Documents/PDF/Short-TermParentalLeaveForm.pdf

or a Leave of Absence: http://gradschool.wsu.edu/CurrentStudents/PoliciesAndProcedures/Chapter5/OfficialLeavesOfAbsence.html

Also, here is some great information on Pregnancy, Parenting, and Student Rights:

http://www.nwlc.org/resource/pregnant-and-parenting-students-rights-faqs-college-and-graduate-students

:)

Here is what the short term parental leave says:  

Eligibility: The Short-term Parental Leave plan applies to all full-time enrolled graduate students at all campus locations anticipating the birth or adoption of a child. Eligible graduate students are those who have been full-time graduate students for at least one academic year (two academic semesters, not including the summer) at the time Parental Leave is taken. Students must maintain their full-time enrollment status during Parental Leave.

Which means I don't qualify :( 

I know that I have rights as a student, but how does that affect my GA/RA- which is a job and not protected under Title IX.